windows xp sp2 fails to install catalog files

Andrew

I'm currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 Version 2002. I have just
received my MS windows XP service pack 2 update CD. The update fails and gets
the error "failed to install catalog files". I am then forced to cancel the
update process.

In the past I have tried several times, without success, to update to sp2
via the web update service.

I have not been able to uninstall the part of sp2 that has been installed,
either after trying via the web, or via the CD.

Help!

Have you used the special SP2 phone support? (888) 772-4357

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 Version 2002. I have
> just
> received my MS windows XP service pack 2 update CD. The update fails and
> gets
> the error "failed to install catalog files". I am then forced to cancel
> the
> update process.
>
> In the past I have tried several times, without success, to update to sp2
> via the web update service.
>
> I have not been able to uninstall the part of sp2 that has been installed,
> either after trying via the web, or via the CD.
>
> Help!

Andrew

Does anyone know a direct resolution for this problem?

Thanks,

Andrew

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Have you used the special SP2 phone support? (888) 772-4357

> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 Version 2002. I have
> > just
> > received my MS windows XP service pack 2 update CD. The update fails and
> > gets
> > the error "failed to install catalog files". I am then forced to cancel
> > the
> > update process.
> >
> > In the past I have tried several times, without success, to update to sp2
> > via the web update service.
> >
> > I have not been able to uninstall the part of sp2 that has been installed,
> > either after trying via the web, or via the CD.
> >
> > Help!

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 Version 2002. I
> have just received my MS windows XP service pack 2 update CD. The
> update fails and gets the error "failed to install catalog files". I
> am then forced to cancel the update process.
>
> In the past I have tried several times, without success, to update to
> sp2 via the web update service.
>
> I have not been able to uninstall the part of sp2 that has been
> installed, either after trying via the web, or via the CD.
>
> Help!

I don't know that error, but this is close and the fix might work:
"Failed To Install Product Catalog" Error Message When You Install Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823303

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Andrew

The fixes didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew

> The fixes didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

No, sorry.

--