Windows XP to Live On Another Year in Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
'"It's been a long time since we've had a version of Windows that will actually run better [than the previous version] on the hardware that most customers have," Nash said.'

Does this mean 7 will run better or worse? Microsoft should have learned they can't force hardware upgrades to the masses by writing shitty software. With trends actually going backwards (Atom processors being slower and less capable than most PCs even 5 years ago), I think Microsoft is really feeling the heat.

I think it's still up in the air if 7 will accomplish what Microsoft hopes it will, and extending XP doesn't sound very confident on their part.

G

"will run better than the previous versions" means: "Will run better than Vista and Win 2003".

G

[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom](Atom processors being slower and less capable than most PCs even 5 years ago)...[/citation]
The Atom PC on my EEEPc actually runs pretty good; also thanks to the internal SSD, boots within 50secs.
It also has a lot faster RAM speeds than former pc's. (400/533Mhz DDR2 vs 200Mhz P4 1,4Ghz).

I'm actually running also a trimmed down version of XP, even with a celeron 900Mhz cpu, and get equal results of the older P4 1,2Ghz thanks to the bump in memory speed. So the EeePc actually outperforms any older P4 pc; and the atom outperforms older P4's 1,6Ghz mainly thanks to it's HT capability.
You could almost see the Atom as 2x800Mhz processors, each loading files pretty slow by themselves, but together (with multi threading) they load applications faster than my 1,4Ghz singlecore Athlon processor.
I have no complains about the atom,but it's crappy Intel video chip.

Nvidia's ion platform is the solution (paired with a Geforce 9400) to make many people change their mind about this chip!

I only wished we could buy them somewhere.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation]The Atom PC on my EEEPc actually runs pretty good; also thanks to the internal SSD, boots within 50secs.[/citation]

Really? I get

Not to refute anyone here, but I think the Atom at 1.6GHz is just as fast as a Celeron at 900MHz which I'm sure people know that they used on netbook until Atoms came out.

So depending on what the Celeron core was, the Atom is not much faster than a Pentium 4 from 2006.

Other than that, only one word in reply to the topic: "Still?"

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Microsoft will give away XP before they let a notebook ship with any variant of Linux.[/citation]
Damn right.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Microsoft will give away XP before they let a notebook ship with any variant of Linux.[/citation]
Isn't that exactly the point? LOL.

On a side note:
Atom needs a x64 version dual core with virtualization so we can run W7U XPM.

;)

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
My netbook is mainly used as my home stereo and I like iTunes for that so XP is good. As far as my Acer Extensa 4630Z goes, I only run Ubuntu 9.04, Vista is only on a backup DVD now in case I ever want to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.