Windows XP to Windows 8.1 installation

Basher515

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I am installing Windows 8.1 on my old system with Windows XP Pro SP3 through USB (I used multiple USB boots, the Official Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, Rufus, Universal USB Installer, etc), but all attempts failed. I am getting an error code 0xc000000e that says that my boot configuration is corrupted or missing.

I tried fixing the issue through the recovery console, using "bootcfg /rebuild" and was able to create a new bootable OS. But attempting to boot the USB again, issue still persists.

I'm not sure if my ISO is the one at fault, or it's the Windows XP itself, as if it doesn't boot the USB, the PC loads fine. If I wipe the HDD using Ultimate Boot CD, will that fix my issue and I will be able to install Windows 8.1?

vampyiere6

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Make sure that your usb is made bootable, then make sure that the iso file you uses is not currupted and that it should be a normal iso file.

Then try to install whipe the hdd first and then try to install it.

And make sure in bios that you can choose usb as boot option.

Basher515

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Yes, the system is able to boot the USB. I was able to boot Ultimate Boot CD without any problems. Also used memtest and killdisk, it runs fine. The error code just shows up when I try booting the OS installer.

Should I go ahead and wipe the HDD and then try the OS installer again?

vampyiere6

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Yea i would say that is a good idea, if you dont have naything you really need on the hdd just whipe it and it should work.

Basher515

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Tried doing it, but same error message still shows up. The only factors remain as : Motherboard, BIOS, or Flash Drive for Booting.. HDD unlikely as it was running SP3 without problems. Might test it out later

The old system's motherboard is Intel DG31PR. Intel site says it's only compatible up to Vista, but I browsed and some were able to install Windows 7 in it.

BIOS.. forgot the version, but it's most likely outdated. I downloaded a newer version on Intel, but I'm not sure how to USB boot this. Can you give me some instructions on how to do it? Is it similar to just use Rufus? It has three files, .IKT, .BIO, and .EXE. Can't try the Express BIOS update since I already wiped the HDD

Flash Drive, will try switching it out to another and see if it still doesn't work. But I really doubt it, as I was able to boot up the other tools without problems.