[SOLVED] Windows XP USB install disk not booting

Nov 27, 2019
Hello again
So I was sitting here all day trying to reinstall windows XP on my veeery old laptop, But when I try to boot off the USB it says, Invalid Boot.ini file, booting from C:WINDOWS

Then shoots me with:

<WINDOWS FILE>\hal.dll is missing

I've tried other ISO files and they give me the same message.
Any help apreciated

Mar 18, 2019
Sounds like you need to enter Bios setup at boot and make sure you have set machine to boot from "other devices" including USB, then optical drive, then 1st HDD.

(Machine is still trying to boot off 1st HDD instead of looking for USB)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019
I cant
Sounds like you need to enter Bios setup at boot and make sure you have set machine to boot from "other devices" including USB, then optical drive, then 1sr HDD.

Well I cant set my first boot device to my USB because BIOS doesnt pick it up. But if I go to the Boot Menu I can boot of the USB. I cant plug anything out unless I should remove the hard drive.

Should I do that?

Nov 27, 2019
Sounds like you need to enter Bios setup at boot and make sure you have set machine to boot from "other devices" including USB, then optical drive, then 1sr HDD.

Also it happens when I am booting off the USB

Mar 18, 2019
Well I cant set my first boot device to my USB because BIOS doesnt pick it up. But if I go to the Boot Menu I can boot of the USB. I cant plug anything out unless I should remove the hard drive.

Should I do that?
" if I go to the Boot Menu I can boot of the USB"... What boot menu?
" I cant plug anything out"... What does this mean?

Are you attempting to boot with a USB flash drive that has the XP install files on it, and are you sure this flash drive is bootable?

You should NOT remove the hard drive from the machine if you intend on setting up an OS on it...

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019
Try with a CD... Windows XP and USB drives are a mess toghether
I have 3 machines with XP on them and don't recall any issues related to booting off of, or using USB devices.

From what Frosty has posted thus far, I'm betting his USB device is just a data storage drive and is not bootable.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS