Windows XP Will not Allow Access to HDD

Koolguy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
****Although I have posted this in the HArd Disk section as well, I was hoping that the Windows XP experts may be able to give me a different perspective****

I am having an issue with my second hard drive. A couple of weeks ago I wrote on here that my primary crashed, and end up having to buy a new one.

Referrence http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&fi...viewtop

Well before I blew $400+ (I got addicted to newegg and tacked on a monitor and a video card), I ran into an older HDD I had. It is a seagate 20GB. I can get the specs if you need it. I end up installing windows on it, and it runs fine. However, when hooking up my 250GB WD as a slave, it says disk is corrupted, and cannot access data. Of this 250GB, im sure I have about 60GB of stuff I really need to save. Im not sure why it would corrupt. My Computer recognizes the hdd, as does the bios.

Is it possible to create another partition on this? Could I even use that to help me? I noticed in another post someone said something about freezing the hard drive. I dont know if this will work, but I am open to anything to save my stuff. (Lots of music, movies, pics, and files from college)

Koolguy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Yes. Everything is appropriate. When I get home I will repost the exact HDD model of the Seagate. Because it gives me some funny options. I'm not sure if I have it set as Master with slave present.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
when pscowboy or grumpy get here they will be able to give you better direction then me, however in the meantime just to test it, set your slave drive jumpers on "cable" and see then connect to pc and see if it will see it now ;)