windows xp will not load

I don't know the exact message but on a friend's computer they have some .dll
message that needs to loaded before windows will boot up. They unfortunately
do not have the windows cd. Is there any way to reinstall windows without
the CD/disk?

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Becky wrote:
> I don't know the exact message but on a friend's computer they have some .dll
> message that needs to loaded before windows will boot up. They unfortunately
> do not have the windows cd. Is there any way to reinstall windows without
> the CD/disk?

They can use someone else's installation CD with their CD key as long as
it's the same type, i.e. OEM vs. OEM, Home vs. Pro, Major OEM vs. Major
OEM like Dell or Gateway.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Becky,

Here is what some of your options are. If you can boot the computer to safe
mode, you can try to copy the DLL's it is missing from another XP computer
via a floppy disk or CD. If you can boot it up to Safe Mode with Networking,
you can then email them the DLL's they are missing. This is just shooting in
the dark though and would be hard to pull off but its worth a shot. To boot
into safe mode, start up the computer and press F5 a few times until it
brings you into the Windows Boot Menu.

If this does not work. You will need to get a XP CD.

~zero