[SOLVED] Windows XP with sata ahci controllers

Dec 24, 2021
Hello, i'm trying to install dual boot system on a fujitsu esprimo c720.

The reason why am doing this is because i have a business software that works only on windows xp.

I altready have windows 10 on the pc but is in ahci mode. If i switch to ide i get a bsod on win 10 so i swiched it on ahci.

So i tried to burn iso on my usb and win xp gives error because is on ahci mode.

I'm trying to insert the drivers on the usb so the windows xp setup takes those drivers and don't give bsod.

The drivers that i'm using is: https://it.drvhub.net/devices/controllers/intel/8-series-c220-chipset-family-sata-ahci-controller

Now i make a folder called "drivers" and i placed all drivers here, then i made a autoattend.txt with the following text:

Code:
[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath="drivers/"

The problem is that i'm not so sure if that will works.

Can someone help me?

Solution
But if i wanna try to doual boot how i can do?
Obtain a second HDD or SSD
Physically disconnect all other drives
Attempt the XP install on this other drive

If/when it fails to install on this new hardware, give up and install XP in a VM with VMware or VirtualBox.

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
From my experience dual booting a WinXP machine;

Even with OS's installed on separate drives, you must install XP first. (or you'll end up having to get into bios or hit a boot menu option button at every flash screen.)

To install XP on a Sata drive (pre-XP), you'll need to obtain Sata drivers from your MB (chipset) manufacturer. Then use (freeware) nLite program to create slipstream ISO to merge original XP install files with Sata drivers. Then use (free) Yumi program to create bootable USB flash drive with the previously created XP ISO. (can also create bootable CD with Yumi).

It's been a while, but if you want to remove that garbage Windows 10 from your HDD, you probably will need 3rd party (mini tools) software to delete the hidden partition Win10 created.

Once XP is installed, the next OS you install on the system (including Linux) will recognize XP is there and prompt if you want to replace or dual boot with new OS.

Dec 24, 2021
But if i use nlite to insert esprimo ahci sata controller, the iso created will not work in vurtualbox but only to the esprimo pc, right?
Also during the setup i can create a partition in windwos xp setup to install the os in another partition.

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
I have not used any Virtual Box software under Windows in the past, so I cannot speak to that. But with this method, there is no need for one. You are instead attempting to install 2 (or more) OS's on different HDD's or partitions.

What the nLite program does is combine the newer required drivers with the original XP setup files, and generate a slightly larger ISO. nLite also allows you to preset many options ahead of time that the XP setup process asks for, thus many setup pages are skipped..... you can play with that if you like, or just do the basic function of getting the drivers and the setup files merged. There are instructions online for nLite which I suggest you find.

Then you want to D/L Yumi. This utility will put the modified ISO on a flash drive and make it bootable. (with Yumi you can put several ISO's on the flash drive as well and it creates a boot menu.)

In the past, my procedure went something like this;

1. Copy XP setup files to new directory on your HDD.
  2. Copy required drivers to a new directory also.
  3. Use nLite to create the modified ISO. Save it where ever you want.
  4. Use Yumi to make that ISO a bootable flash drive.
  5. Also use Yumi to add disk manager software. (Mini Tool Partition Wizard.iso, or boot-repair-disk-64bit.iso.)
  6. Boot machine with flash drive to confirm you can load all of the above.
  7. Boot to disk manager, delete all partitions, create new partitions if needed.
  8. You can also format partitions at this point, but I prefer to allow the OS to be installed to do the formatting.
  9. Boot machine again with flash drive, install XP.
  10. Now when you install additional OS's, they should recognize another OS is already installed, and give you the option to install a 2nd OS along side, and create a boot menu so you don't need to switch boot drives in bios, or hit any keys during the startup splash screen.

When installing the 2nd OS, keep your eyes peeled for boot drive/partition options.... you want the machine to boot to the newer OS location which is where the boot menu should be installed.

Have a blast.....

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
Something else I forgot to mention..... If your machine has 2 HDD's, I would suggest you install the OS's on separate drives. This way, if a HDD fails, you can at least change boot options in bios if needed, and still have one working OS until the bad HDD is replaced.

Merry Xmas....
Wolf

RealBeast

Titan
I have VMware workstation installed on my primary machine with about a dozen virtual machines from DOS to W10 and several Linux flavors. For other than a few old games it works great. But Virtual Box is free so a better choice for a newer user.

You can pound your head against a wall or use it to think of a better solution, dual boot with XP is a head pounder compared to a virtual machine.

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
Are these "virtual box" flavors of software something you install like an OS and then install other OS on top of them?

Can you install a "virtual box" after OS's have been installed to have it then detect and load those OS's?

Thanks,
Wolf

Dec 24, 2021
Hello guys, thanks for all these replies.
I managed to boot in in xp setup thanks to @ImWolf .
I downloaded some infs files from some website with the pc name.
I downloaded and integrated via nlite.
Then i create iso and i created boot device via YUMI.
Now windows xp boots without BSOD and detects all my disks.
Thank you very much!

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
Now windows xp boots without BSOD and detects all my disks.
Thank you very much!

Glad to hear this part of your project worked out. As RealBeast noted above, "dual boot with XP is a head pounder."

Please post again after you have installed the 2nd OS to update on how that worked out for you.

Wolf