Question Windows XP won't start after cloning

clearance

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have this problem after i cloned my old HDD drive to new one. The old was divided into 2 partitions: Win XP 64 bit and the other one i use as storage in my main system (win7). XP is a secondary system i use with Audio interface only - i switch from main Win7 to this one by setting this drive as primary boot in BIOS when normally i'll boot from SSD to get to Win7. So i cloned old HDD to a new, bigger one, and now the XP won't start. I get the first welcome logo as usual (on black background), then it goes to blue screen with smaller logo as it should (usually loading desktop or something). But there is no small captions saying: loading desktop, preparing settings - whatever it does. Just a logo on a blue screen and it won't boot.
Is there a way to fix it, or do i have to clone again? Hopefully not, beacase it takes forever to clone those HDD's.

Could anyone help?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full? Old and new.

How did you clone the old HDD? What software/app and process?

The cloning process may have been corrupted and/or the new drive (also HDD?) could be defective in some manner.

clearance

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
The system is: core i7 3770, 16GB RAM, old drives [Samsung SSD 128 GB - contains Win7 and has 2 partitions + WD Caviar BLUE 500 GB with 2 partitions: Win XP and Data storage] and new drives [Samsung EVO 870 500 GB + WD Black 1 TB]

So the previous setup was this:
old SSD 128 GB - Windows7 - 2 partitions (100MB restricted for the system + 120 GB system partition)
old HDD 500 GB - 2 partitions (35GB for Win XP and 430 GB for data storage)

So i cloned both old drives to new drives with EaseUS Partition Master. And right now this is the configuration
new SSD 500 GB - Windows7 - 2 partitions (100MB restricted for the system + 465 GB system partition). Had issues here but managed to resolve it yesterday
new HDD 1 TB - 2 partitions (40GB for Win XP and 890 GB for data storage)

This often happens if the disk identifies as D: (which you can find is the case if Windows setup finds a previous Windows installation on D:

The solution is to blow away and rewrite the MBR on the HDD. Disconnect the SSD while doing this.

The quickest way is to use a Win98 or ME boot disk (yes, really) and issue a fdisk /mbr at the command prompt. No, it does not matter that fdisk does not know how to read NTFS.

Alternately, get to the XP command prompt from either F8 (which may not be possible if it thinks it's on D) or the XP setup media recovery console (press R) then enter
fixMbr
fixboot C:

clearance

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
I raed about recovery through windows installation disk, but it didn't show any option of pressing "R" at anytime. It went through few steps and then started the installation of new Win XP - i abrted it, so don't know if that didn't mess stuff up even more. I'll try the f8 to get to cmd maybe.

repair-windows.png

clearance

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
i didn't see this "board", i was looking forward to it, but it didn't show up. I'll try again before cloning the disk.

---
I immediately get the information about the partition choice for XP install, but no chance to go to recovery console.
---
Can i clone just one partition to another instead of cloning whole disk? I'd format this current XP partition and clone only XP part from the old drive. Simple copying doesn't work does it?

Last edited: