Windows xp x32-> windows 8 x64 ?

andristj

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hello smart people!

So, I found a license of windows xp and I want to upgrade it to windows 8 PRO for 39.99$ as It is available at microsoft website. And the only problem what I see here is bits of OS. Windows XP OS ussually have 32-bits but I want to have 64-bit Windows 8. because as I read in website, I need to buy windows 8 disc which costs much more than 39.99$.

And my question is Am I able to upgrade somehow windows x32 to windows 8 PRO x64 for 39.99$ legally ?

P.S. Merry Christmas! :)

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
According to Microsoft, you can do it, but you'll have to do a clean install. You won't be able to keep your programs and data. You'll have to back up your data, format the hard drive during install, then copy your data back and re-install all your software. From Microsoft's website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

"Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?

"Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a custom installation. If available in your country or region, you can buy Windows 8 Pro from a participating retail store. You can also buy it online from the Microsoft Store in Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

"Please note that the Windows 8 Pro Pack is used to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro, and is not for cross-architecture installs and does not include any media. If you want to change architectures, purchase Windows 8 Pro.

"You won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version."

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
I would run their upgrade assistant and see what it tells you. More from the website referenced above:

"Purchasing an upgrade version of Windows 8

"When you run Upgrade Assistant, if it finds that your PC is ready to upgrade, it provides a recommendation for which edition to buy, with the option to buy, download, and install Windows 8 from there.

"Or if you prefer (and if it is available in your region), you can buy the upgrade as a DVD from a participating retail store. Note that if you're upgrading from a DVD, you must have Windows running on your PC when you begin the upgrade. If you'd like to reformat your hard drive, you can do so as long as you start your PC from media and then format your hard drive from within the setup experience for installing Windows, and not prior to it.

"For more info about how to buy an upgrade in your region, visit the Buy Windows 8 webpage."

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
you cannot upgrade a 32 bit os using a 64 bit upgrade, you need to setup the os from scratch. If you order the dvd you get both 32 and 64. Take my word for it, I only had 32 win 7 and I could not upgrade using the dvd or upgrade assistant. Setup started a new install. Windows pro allowed me the keep multi boot for windows 7 or 8 but it would not upgrade 32 win 7

andristj

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

I am really confused about too many posts. I have posted just one time. In another posting tries, there were errors. So, I am really sorry, I am not a spamer.

So, I found in one of my posts :heink: advice what I can do, It's run windows 8 x64 .iso file after upgrade, and then, live without problems... What do you think?

TRENDING THREADS