Windows Xp x64 "sounds and audio devices" grayed out "No audio device"

stookza

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Hello

After installing new video card [GTX 980Ti] last week i have a problem with my X-fi Titanium Fatality driver, suddenly the volume icon in the notification area decided to disappear from some reason... so i removed the 980ti and returned my previous card 780GTX, but still the porblem persisted, so i uninstalled and veporized completely the damn X-fi driver, first with "Uninstall tool" software and then the creative "driver uninstalation" tool. restarted... went to safe mode and cleaned all scraps with "Driver cleaner pro" and "Driver sweeper", and then i erased everything related with "Creative" and "Creative Tech" from the registry and from all the windows files, then i erased all the drivers inside windows/system42/drivers that their name starts with "ct" and "ossrv" "emupia" and "ha32" and again inside the registry CurrentControlSet001-002-003-006/enum/root...

After i restarted pc and reinstalled from windows update the "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for HD audio" , then i removed it straight from device manager by "uninstall" it according to old reliable and working instructions.
07vyqpF

After it, i reinstalled the driver straight from the "Creative Driver Update Utility" tool, and rebooted.

But then again, driver was installed correctly, i can see the "Creative SB X-Fi" installed properly in Device manager, without "yellow question" mark or something, also all the music and media files or internet sounds work properly, but there are no basic "windows sounds" [like restart, shut down, nevigate between pages] they are all gone... :( and when i enter in Control panel to "Sounds and audio devices" it says "No Audio Device" although that the x-fi driver is installed correctly. I did the first suggestion mentioned in some forums and disabled - renabled the "Windows Audio" in "services" but it didnt work either...

I searched tons of computers forums in google for this problem like: Toms hardware, 7forums. Microsoft, CNET etc.
I found many that had the same problem as me, but no avail... no one had a working solution for me or even barely for themselves because many topics were not solved.

Additionally i removed the sound card and reseated it in a different pci-x slot.

I will really appreciate if some expert here can solve this annoying problem for me.
Many thanks

Video cards have their own sound chip for HDMI audio. Usually installing the video card driver will make the HDMI audio the default sound device. You need to manage multiple audio devices in the Windows Control Panel>Sound. There you can make a different audio device your default sound device.

Your other problems likely stem from your actions in the Registry.

stookza

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Thanks for ur reply, I disabled the HD audio device of the video card in the device manager straight after the Nvidia driver installtion.

I have no option in Xp x64 to "manage multiple audio devices in the Windows Control Panel>Sound" but other options which are unavailible this moment, cause most of them are grayed out.

I have basic sound with all the creative apps working, but not the windows sound scheme.