Windows10 and GFX crash / monitor goes black

AlbertCHN

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Yesterday I wanted to try a program called Bluestacks, its an Android emulator for PC.

After installation, my PC suddenly had a graphic card drive crash, and my monitor went to black. I had to hard reboot my machine. After startup and login to Windows10, it went black again.

Then I tried to make a completely new reinstall of Windows10, I wiped the harddrive and installed Windows again. After installation I updated Windows10 from Windows Update in control panel, after first reboot, the machine went to black monitor again....very strange. I tried a hard reboot, but every time I logged in to Windows, it went to black screen.

I tried another new reinstall, wiped everything, this time I tried to install the chipset driver before Win update, but suddenly it went to black screen again.

Now I'm thinking some hardware is broken.

I changed my GFX with a spare card. This helped, I reinstalled OS again, and everything went fine. I turned off the machine again, replaced the spare GFX with my original GFX, and now everything is running fine, no black screen, no GFX driver crash. I'm really puzzled. I have tried "Heaven" benchmarking my GFX to see if I had broken hardware, but it runs smooth.

I have a little suspect in all this, and that is Windows10 Update, because I noticed that Windows update had trouble installing a Radeon driver for my spare card, it stopped every time, but didnt give me black screen.

My sys:

Asrock Z97 Extreme4 with Intel i5
SSD Samsung EVO 1TB
Corsair 850watt
Nvidia GTX980

naqeeb123

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
It often happened when you update your OS. and some evaluation copy are installed but didn't work properly. You may also have seen lots of wired things when window 10 initially released and many expert downgrade their window from window 10 to window 8.1.

My experience Don't do upgrade with Evaluation Copy or any updates.