Windows10 "Hidden Network"

petrellamd

Honorable
May 5, 2017
Hello all;

I have turned off "Wireless Networking" on our XFinity DPC3939; and I have turned off "Guest Network" on our TP-Link Archer C9, in both cases on both the 2.4GHz & 5GHz broadcast bands ... Yet ... We still see "Other Network" on our Win7 machines and "Hidden Network" on our Win10 machines ..??? The signal strength is just as strong as that of our TP-Link; and it is still there when we turn off the TP-Link ..??? Can someone help me understand where this is coming from ..??? TIA Mario

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
https://superuser.com/questions/842033/i-keep-seeing-an-ssid-called-hidden-network-everywhere-why-is-this#842035

New routers from Verizon and Xfinity have a "Hidden Network" as part of a new initiative to boost speeds without installing actual infrastructure. It's a new way to extend signal to hard to reach places like the rural midwest where 1 tower is enough to supply a whole zip code by bouncing signal off routers in the neighborhood. To get rid of this "HIdden Network" you have to log into your Verizon, or Comcast account and Opt Out. You can do so in your account or call customer service. Someone from technical support will access your router, stop the Hidden Network, and you should see a small boost of 30mb in performance from your router.

petrellamd

Honorable
May 5, 2017
Thanks, very much, for the info!

Are you talking about the "XFINITY" WiFi Public HotSpot? ... I'v already disabled that ... :-(

And, the key thing, is that it's signal strength is equal to the strongest signal strength coming from within our home (btw, we have plaster walls & ceilings, not sheet-rock); otherwise, I'd just check this off as coming from our neighbor's Comcast modem ... ??

Mario

TRENDING THREADS