Windows10 random keys dont work

nickguyy5

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
hello so out of the blue on my computer many of the keys were not working. there is only a few keys that work such as ctrl shift caps i tab windows key so they keys that are not working are mainly letter keys and number keys. i cant login into my computer due to the fact that the keys dont work and i have a password. when i open up my computer and go to the login screen i can turn on narrator from ease of access but cant change any settings. when i try to type with the keys that dont work the narrator says hidden. i do not think its a keyboard problem because i have tried 2 other keyboards and they all have the same issue. Someone please help

Solution
although your solution did not work even though it might of due to me not getting around to trying, but it did give me more dedecation to fix this problem. eventually i found a sollution i started to install windows 8 on to the computer via a disc and when it got to the point that i had to type the name of the computer i took the disc out restarted windows (booted on my hdd this time windows 10) then when i got to the login screen i clicked on the ease of access(bottom right) which then appeared in the top left of my screenand was able to turn filter keys off. a very wierd and random solution but i will take it

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download this on another pc and use it to create a win 10 Install USB or DVD (your choice): Win 10 Media creation tool

Its just a boot disc really
I assume keyboard works fine in bios? its a windows thing I expect since it happened on 3 different keyboards.
Lets see if keyboard works in safe mode.
change boot order so USB or DVD is first, boot drive is second
boot installer
on screen after language choices, select repair this pc, not install
select troubleshoot
select advanced
select start up optins
choose one of the 3 safe modes
pc will reboot and load into safe mode.
open up wordpad and see if it works

you could also go into device manager and check your human interface devices have drivers, and delete any old ones you no longer use.

something else that might help is running start up repair
boot from installer, choose repair this pc again
select troubleshoot/advanced/start up repair
this will scan pc and might fix keyboard issues - will ask for logon details

you might be best off running a reset
before you do that, if there is anything on pc you want to keep that isn't in a library folder, use this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
to reset pc, boot from installer again, select repair this pc
select reset from first menu
two choices, keep files and settings (this only saves you libraries, so things like My Documents, music, downloads, etc) or wipe it all.
once you decide, pc will save a few things and then restart and reinstall win 10

hopefully one of these three will fix it. I couldn't find a one stop fix for this issue, many were fixed with new keyboards which you have already tried.

nickguyy5

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
although your solution did not work even though it might of due to me not getting around to trying, but it did give me more dedecation to fix this problem. eventually i found a sollution i started to install windows 8 on to the computer via a disc and when it got to the point that i had to type the name of the computer i took the disc out restarted windows (booted on my hdd this time windows 10) then when i got to the login screen i clicked on the ease of access(bottom right) which then appeared in the top left of my screenand was able to turn filter keys off. a very wierd and random solution but i will take it

Solution

TRENDING THREADS