Windows2000 and ATI Fury MAXX

G

I have an ATI Fury MAXX installed on my PIII 800. Since I want to upgrade my OS and I have had huge troubles with winME, I want to upgrade to win2000. Now my problem is that there are no drivers for my videocard. ATI hasn't been able to supply them and since this is a rather old card they probably never will. And with winXP coming up, I can totally forget it. Now my question is if anybody has encountered the same problem and has found a solution to make the videocard work correctly with win2000?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I suggest an upgrade to Windows 98. That's like suggesting an upgrade from a 2000 Cavalier to a 98 Z-28: The Z-28 might be two years older but it's still a lot more car. 98SE is far more trouble free than ME. And their won't be an ME-SE to fix things. BTW, XP has drivers for the Rage Fury series built in!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Thanks Crashman... the info about XP is very helpfull. In second thought, I'm going to install win98 again. It could save some trouble.
One more question about the drivers in XP...Since the Fury MAXX has two Rage128 chips, will the XP drivers let them work both or just one? I'm working with linux also and I think linux only supports one chip. I know you can turn of the second chip with the drivers in win98, so I know it's possible to work with only one....
Thanks anyway!

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
From what I read and heard, MAXX never worked on win2k, I don't remember the exact problem details though, except the 2 chips on the card were the cause.

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe the brief article was convered a couple months ago at rage3d.com. They showed screenshots of a regular Rage Fury. I don't know if the Max would use the second chip, or if the default XP drivers would limit it to just one.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

I agree. That's why I'm going to stick with win98.
Just hoping for the best with XP's supporting two chips.....