Windows8.1 access network w ethernet but not internet

TheUnscented

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
My wife's home desktop, HP Envy 700-210 desktop (with Windows 8.1) is connected to our Asus router via ethernet cable. This desktop can access the network and other networked computers, but not the intenet. The problem is intermittent, resetting network adapters (through the control panel troubleshooting) will occasionally solve the problem. Our router is located in the basement and the signal passes through two (not smart) switches before finally connecting to the desktop. It's not the preferred arrangement, but it's what we have. My old Win7 laptop connected to the same ethernet switch doesn't seem to have that problem. We had this problem with a Trendnet "Green" switch, which I've replaced with a newer switch but there has been relief from this problem. Sometimes physically changing which port the ethernet cable is using helps, but all ports seem to be equally effective and affected.

If my laptop had the same issue, I'd wonder about the switch. If she could not access our network OR the internet, I'd have a better understanding. Being able to access the network but not the internet is really beyond my understanding. Please advise.

Solution
I'd try updating both the motherboard chipset drivers, the network adapter drivers and the BIOS. I doubt this is related to the network hardware, aside from the adapters on the local machine, nor is it likely to be a configuration problem since there is intermittent connectivity and other machines don't have similar issues.

You might also try some of the solutions offered here, which are similar to yours using the same adapter. Clearly this is a device specific issue I'd think.:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/Pavilion-p6-2416a-Qualcomm-Atheros-AR8161-Windows-8-No/td-p/3240043
I'd try updating both the motherboard chipset drivers, the network adapter drivers and the BIOS. I doubt this is related to the network hardware, aside from the adapters on the local machine, nor is it likely to be a configuration problem since there is intermittent connectivity and other machines don't have similar issues.

You might also try some of the solutions offered here, which are similar to yours using the same adapter. Clearly this is a device specific issue I'd think.:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/Pavilion-p6-2416a-Qualcomm-Atheros-AR8161-Windows-8-No/td-p/3240043

Solution

TRENDING THREADS