windwos 7 for multiple pcs

Carlo Buzar

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
hi guys
i want to purchase windows 7 for multiple pc's and i cant find it in ms store.

and how much for 20units?

or should i buy OS each 1 of my units?

phillipnolan

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
"If I remove a post because it looks like spam, there's usually a reason for it. Please don't recreate deleted posts. - SS "

the OP requested solutions about where to purchase multiple copies -- i supplied them and the SS deleted my original post. then when i posted without urls the references were redacted. I am posting this as protest.

I have a very good business relationship with both of these companies, but make no money for references.

I particularly recommend buycheapsoftware because of their responsiveness to the customer, but have used softwaresupplygroup when they have better deals.

So I hope that the SS will abandon their campaign of terror and accept that not every reference to a company or website other than your own or one of the big sites is spam.

OK; I'll allow the links to stay. It looks like at least one of them is a member of the BBB (though it has been pointed out that being a member appears to get you a significant increase in ranking, so is kind of suspect).

However, I'd warn potential customers that the word of a relatively new member of an online forum, for one of the more fraudulently obtained pieces of merchandise around, is not a recommendation. Do your homework, and I strongly recommend buying elsewhere. They're on at least one list as "don't buy", and you're unlikely to get any kind of help from MS if something goes wrong; I wouldn't be surprised if they're MSDN keys and get revoked later when MS finds out they've been sold.

Also, reposting removed information is considered very very rude, and I'd rather not see it happen again.

phillipnolan

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

SS,

The items i bought from these vendors have been either resold OEM licenses from major vendor like DELL or HP, or standard OEM licenses. Both were at significant discounts from either Newegg or Amazon. While they don't always have these resale licenses, they are both transparent about the fact that they are reselling "branded" software. There have been no MSDN keys.

It is understood when buying OEM software that you will have no "support" from microsoft, it is no different from buying OEM software from Newegg or Amazon. OEM software is sold at a discount with the understanding that the OEM vendor, in this case, YOU, the buyer; is responsible for supporting the operating system.

I may be relatively new to this forum, but have been supporting small business since before Microsoft and Dell existed. I have been following tomshardware since it was a tiny website.

Now that i have schooled you on OEM licenses, let me point out that being arrogant and condescending is also very, very rude and i'd also rather not see it happen again.

here's to more civil interaction.

cheers.

I'm not referring to that kind of help. I'm saying that if they revoke the key, or you have trouble activating, there may be nothing you can do. Especially since they're branded OEM rather than system builder OEM.

Not editing posts changed by a moderator is a pretty fundamental rule of most online forums.

You have failed to point out that resale of manufacturers' OEM licences in this way is almost certainly illegal.

Anyway, the moderators on Tom's give their time freely to make the site a more pleasant experience for everyone. If you have a problem with their decisions I think it would be better to have a private conversation with Tom's staff about it rather than starting a public slanging match.

phillipnolan

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

don't even get me started on the stupidity of the activation key system vis-a-vis the end user.

this used to be an enthusiasts site, it appears to have turned into a "corporate" nirvana.

two further points, 1) as i previously stated, both are legitimate businesses. I have had trouble activating keys and was able to resolve it with them directly. They supplied me with an alternate bundle with a new key.
2) when are you going to restore the actual links you said could stay?

1) Being a legitimate business does not always mean that the products they sell are legal; it merely means they follow through with what they sell. In fact, you having trouble activating them basically confirms everything I said earlier.

2) You named the sites; that's as good as a link. I'm not feeling immensely charitable to someone who reposted removed information three times.

If anyone is interested in the "responsiveness to customers" of buycheapsoftware they may like to check out this review and comments: http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/buy-cheap-software-c159586.html

These sort of problems are very common with all of these "cheap" software sites so, unless you can afford to throw your money away, personal research is advised. Never take the word of one recommendation on a forum; many of these are simply from paid shills (although I am sure that is not the case here ;)). Let the buyer beware!

phillipnolan

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

Now you have touched a really anti-consumer sore point for me. The software/music/movie business would like to make it illegal to resell their software, but to my knowledge it has not succeeded yet. It may be a violation of the TOS. but is no more "illegal" than the moderator using a copyrighted picture as their avatar. both are civil matters or violations which may be pursued by the offended party if they are so motivated.

I appreciate the moderators give their time, but that does not excuse condescension and arrogance. when in a position of power it is also within your power to be gracious. I also appreciate that the SS took the time to research and reply.

They sell you a license, not the software...

If there's two things that we really really don't like here, it's piracy and spam. You've basically managed to halfway get to both.

PS: The strip asks you to 'affix this image of saint dogbert to every document, cubicle, or computer you wish to protect'. That's what I'm doing...

I didn't say it was a criminal offence - I said it was probably illegal. There is a big difference. As you so rightly point out, misuse of the OEM licence could well lead to a civil case.

You are, IMO, incorrect to say that the moderator showed "condescension and arrogance" in this matter. He rightly removed links to companies that are at best dubious and at worst are scams designed to relieve the innocent of their hard-earned money. Having researched both of these firms I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. If still have a problem with the way that the moderator has behaved here you should take it up with Joe rather than behaving like a spoilt brat and washing your dirty linen in public.

I would have to say that your continued insistence on promoting these companies leads me to believe that you may be a shill working on their behalf, so I have no intention of discussing the matter further with you.

Once again, potential customers need to do their own research rather than relying on those who may have a hidden agenda to pursue.

phillipnolan

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

my insistence is on the freedom to post references to companies that have met my needs and who might provide a resource for the OP. if you must condemn me for that; so be it. The SS must have access to my other posts, i freely give my permission to check, see if there is any evidence of spamming or other nefarious activities.

that you would not do business with these particular companies is your choice. but when you condemn me based on your worldview you do both of us a disservice.

No, you don't look much like a spammer - but they're getting pretty good, and we've had people who didn't realise what they did was considered spam. Amazon affiliates and the like.

Other things to note: Whether or not they are spam, they also fall under potential piracy. The fact that they gave you another key pack is very disturbing.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Bottomline is if multiple licenses are needed especially over 10 it's best to use Volume licensing. Why Well the software is purchased through Microsoft an the licenses are given by MS. The OEM's control the keys in the OEM versions not MS. All MS does is activate it.

phillipnolan

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

they did not give me another key pack. they gave me an entire package with disks and documentation and a return shipping call tag for the bad one.

Stuff like that should not go wrong, though. If the keys they're selling went bad, then they most likely did not have the rights to sell them.

EDIT: Also, MS is usually relatively lenient about piracy and misused licenses in a home context; there's not enough money in it. However, if you're a business, they care a lot more.

phillipnolan

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

i do this for a living, supporting small business, yes, they care much more about business, but that is the cash cow. This "should not go wrong," but all too often does. I have had bad keys from nearly every major vendor.

phillipnolan

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
guess i have been busy and didn't realize this has slipped for over a year. . .

Supporting small business involves providing technical support for their software packages, recommending software and hardware to meet their needs, and repairing/replacing computers, printers, copiers and other business machines. It also involves managing their servers.

A major vendor would include Apple, Microsoft, Micron, Seagate, Synology, i also deal with wholesalers and retailers like Newegg, Amazon (both amazon and subvendors), tigerdirect and the like.

I hope the OP has been able to resolve his/her question.