Winload.exe missing - error 0xc000007b

badelie

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Hi,
I left my PC in sleep over the weekend which seemed to have automatically hibernate and turned itself off (usually just stays in sleep). When I turned it on it was "attempting repairs" for hours!
This is what I have done so far without success:

1. I got a Windows 10 bootable DVD and using command prompt, disabled recovery.
2. Afterwards, I get error 0xc0000007b winload.exe missing or corrupted on blue recovery screen. The options on screen (F8) don't do anything.
3. In command prompt from DVD, tried commands
Bootrec.exe /fixmbr
Bootrec.exe /fixboot
Bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
Chkdsk /F /R
(which found errors and fixed) x2
Sfc /scannow (cannot finish although it goes to 100%)
DISM (cannot seem to figure out how to make it work with /image parameter)
4. I deleted BCD store and created it from scratch.
5. Enabled legacy boot menu
This way I can access repair options from the Windows installation when it fails to boot.

I was wondering if anyone has a solution apart from refreshing windows. I don't want to lose apps and settings.
Thanks

Solution
you mean this command?

Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
or its longer version?

Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows

The source location is just an example, it also requires you to have a mounted iso at that location.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/hh824869.aspx

I wouldn't move anything around regarding bcd as I think drive letters get mixed up when you boot off the USB, so they may not be as they appear now once you got into windows. It could do more damage.

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried a start up repair?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

DISM /online? Do you mean DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth?

can't do a repair install as you need to be in windows to do it...

a few more suggestions here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/your-pc-needs-to-be-repaired-error-on-windows-10

badelie

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Hi,
Tried startup repair which doesn't seem to do anything, even aftereaving it to run for 8 hours.

I understand why DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restore health doesn't work (as you have explained). But after reading the documentation I believed I could replace /online with /image:C:\ to point to a specific Windows image. I found this suggested on forums as well. But instead the command aborts because a temp folder in the ramdisk created (X:\) cannot be written to. Surely it needs to write to the Windows installation drive and not the ramdisk?

Also, my system is old so it's not UEFI. For some reason BCD is on a different partition (E:\) to the windows installation (K:\). Would it help if I moved BCD to the same partition, disconnected all other HD drives and booted?

Colif

Win 11 Master
you mean this command?

Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
or its longer version?

Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows

The source location is just an example, it also requires you to have a mounted iso at that location.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/hh824869.aspx

I wouldn't move anything around regarding bcd as I think drive letters get mixed up when you boot off the USB, so they may not be as they appear now once you got into windows. It could do more damage.

Solution