WinMe can't see wireless adapter?!

wallaye

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
I have a Windows Me system and I want to install a D-Link Wireless PCI adapter (DWL-G510) to be able to use internet connection in my home (my other Win XP system has the cable modem and router already installed and working).

Trouble is that after I installed the PCI card and D-Link drivers I did not get the 'New Hardware Found' dialog (which I imagine I would not necessarily get in Win Me anyway). I went into CP and Add New Hardware but searching did not find the PCI card and manually trying to add it does not work because the D-Link manufacturer does not list this PCI card as an available item (not surprising as this card came out only a year ago at best).

I tried all 4 of my PCI slots (even the one with a working sound card) and not one of them gets to be recognized by WinMe at bootup.
I even went so far as to think the adapter was bad so I exchanged it for another new one with the same results.

I did have a LinkSys wireless USB adapter working on the machine previously if that would make any difference???
How can I get Win Me to recognized this D-Link PCI card?

Thanks.
wallaye

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
so nothing in the device manager under Network Adapters? Sounds like it might have installed but not working properly (yellow exclamation)

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

wallaye

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
"so nothing in the device manager under Network Adapters? Sounds like it might
have installed but not working properly (yellow exclamation)"

There is nothing in device manager at all and no yellow exclamation point.

Thanks!

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
It's a stretch but run Spybot. You can also run LSFIX that would solve the problem if it is a winsock issue. I wouldn't think not recognizing the NIC would be winsock but spyware is out of control and nothing suprises me about it anymore. Do you have another NIC, wireless or wired that you can try in that machine?

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
One thing you don't mention is the hardware details like the mobo model and how old it (and the BIOS) is. It sure sounds like a hardware incompatibility, to me, but the old LinkSys installation might have left some incompatible drivers behind.

<font color=green>===</font color=green> Never assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>====</font color=green>