Winmodem chipsets

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Is there much of a difference between winmodem chipsets and if so which is the best one? Does anybody really care? :smile:

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, d00d, funny question you have there!

OK< first thing is, there are no industry-wide accepted discriptions: The first is the Software modem, which may or may not ACTUALLY be a PNP HARDWARE modem! Simply calling it PNP is enough for many people to call it "software" because it's not hardware configured!

OK, so various modem chipsets have various features in hardware, or none. I've had good luck with the hardware accelerated modems that are often called software modems by those who don't know what else to call a PNP modem, and mislabled "winmodems" by others.

Intel chipset modems with 2 processing chips (a big one and a little one) are hardware modems, they usually work good. Same with Rockwell/Connexant modems that have 2 processing chips (a big one and a little one). I believe the big chip is the modem chip, and the little one is used for hardware compression.

I've had GREAT success with the OLD Lucent (later Agere) 1646T00 chipset modems, but those aren't even V.92 (they're V.90).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Whoa! TMI! Okay. Now I'm a bit confused. Perhaps you can clear this up. I usually keep a few modems in stock for the few technophobes that still us AOL. So I sent my sales rep an e-mail and asked what winmodems he had in stock. He shot back to me and asked, "hardware or software?" I told him software. I thought winmodems and software modems were synonymous. Anyway, I picked up the modems that, according to the box, are V.92 with Intel chipsets. The modems have one large chip that reads Ambient. Can you clear this up or is it that there is no standard?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, there might be a deffinition somewhere that's "official", but then again "official" definations may also vary depending on the organization! I know for sure that concerning venders, there is no standard way of defining them, some have hardware compression and others don't, I recommend only the ones with hardware compression as they are similarly priced with lower overhead.

In my opinion, one way to tell how powerfull a modem's hardware is, is to look at the CPU requirement. Modems that require a PII or faster are almost surely pure software modems, while modems that can run on Pentiums are likely using additional hardware.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Thanks, Crash. That's a good rule of thumb. I wonder if any of the tech sites have done a comparison of the chipsets. It would be interesting to see the difference between software and hardware modems especially with online gaming. Also, how about the difference between V.90 and V.92? Or, maybe it's not very interesting at all.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
V.92 adds that feature where you can pause your internet connection for call waiting, and answer the phone. I actually had a hardware device that did that, it cost like $40!

TRENDING THREADS