WinRar Damaged or Unsupported Archive

marlasinger

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Hi Folks!

Im having a problem with my winrar program. I use it to zip up files. When other people try to extract the files I have zipped up they get this error:
thumbnail_Rar_Message.jpg

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I have never had a problem with this program before but now all my zips are damaged for some reason?! Please help!

Solution
It sounds like there is something wrong with the RAR files you are trying to unzip if 2 different programs aren't working. Sometimes you see this error if you try to open a .rar file that wasn't downloaded completely or is corrupted. Try downloading a different .rar file from a trusted source like Microsoft's web site or MajorGeeks and see if you can unrar it.

I agree with the above 7zip recommendation.

However, if *all* your zip files are showing up as damaged, you may have a virus on your computer. Viruses typically append themselves to the beginning or end of a file, which can make a zip or rar archive appear corrupted.

marlasinger

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
I just got this laptop and barely have any files on it. Its unlikely that I have a virus already. Im running a scan with avast now. Otherwise I dont know why winrar would stop working. I mean it works FINE for me, but when people try to download my winrar zip files from either an email or a link online, they get that error.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

It could be due to either you using an outdated version of winrar or they are using an outdated version of winrar. either way, you should just switch to 7zip and zip in RAR or 7z format with that software instead as it's better at doing it and then link the people that are downloading your archives to get 7zip as well and use it and leave winrar behind.

jr9

Estimable
Download a new .rar file from a safe place like a manfacturer's website driver page and see if Winrar will open it. If it does, your Rar files or their source is the issue. If you can't open the new .rar file uninstall Winrar completely and install the newest version of Winrar. If THAT doesn't work then try 7zip and if THAT doesn't work then look into malware remediation.

marlasinger

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
I downoaded the newest version of winrar from the site when I got this laptop, so its not an old version from an old computer. I did download 7zip and its doing the same thing. I dont know what else to do. ugh.

jr9

Estimable
It sounds like there is something wrong with the RAR files you are trying to unzip if 2 different programs aren't working. Sometimes you see this error if you try to open a .rar file that wasn't downloaded completely or is corrupted. Try downloading a different .rar file from a trusted source like Microsoft's web site or MajorGeeks and see if you can unrar it.

Solution