WINS problem? Server? Domain? all the above?

I have an XP PRO PC I'm trying to get to join a NT 4.0
Domain. We are a NW shop, the login script runs, I see
all the drives, go out to Explorer and I can see some NT
4.0 servers and some 2000 servers but not all.

Any clues? Is it the servers I can't see the problem or is
it the workstation. I'm thinking a WINS issue.

To go a bit further I have a PDC on NT40 and a DHCP/WINS
on an NT 4.0 (different servers) the DHCP and PDC are in
different domains. Then I have a 2000 server, I installed
DHCP on for a backup on IP addresses. That is a member of
the PDC. I think this is mucking it up some how, but corp
has mandated the structure to look this way.

Do I install WINS on the 2000 server so the XP box will
see everything? IF I do will it hurt anything?

So you have two DHCP servers running on your
network handing out addresses on the same subnet?

I don't think it's a WINS issue as WINS only aids in
browsing. The culprit is the computer browser service.
A segment master browser (SMB) is responsible for
enumerating the local browse list and passing it pack
to the domain master browser (DMB). It does this
by receiving host name announce packets from all
machines on the network. The SMB is also responsible
for receiving the merged list from the DMB and passing
back to all machines who request it. There could be a
number of reasons a machine won't show up in the list
a few common ones are listed below:

The server service and file and print sharing must be
enabled in order for a machine to send a host name
announcement packet to make it's presence known.
There is also a registry hack which tells the machine
not to register with an SMB. Net config server from
a dos prompt will yield the hidden field it should say
no. It's also common for a W2k or higher machine
in an NT 4.0 domain environment to force a browse
election in order to become the SMB and actually
wins because of it's OS criteria. You can simply
disable the computer browser service using the
services applet to prevent the machine from becoming
a master browser. The machine will still send it's host
name announcement packet in order to become known
on the network.

"Jessie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> I have an XP PRO PC I'm trying to get to join a NT 4.0
> Domain. We are a NW shop, the login script runs, I see
> all the drives, go out to Explorer and I can see some NT
> 4.0 servers and some 2000 servers but not all.
>
> Any clues? Is it the servers I can't see the problem or is
> it the workstation. I'm thinking a WINS issue.
>
> To go a bit further I have a PDC on NT40 and a DHCP/WINS
> on an NT 4.0 (different servers) the DHCP and PDC are in
> different domains. Then I have a 2000 server, I installed
> DHCP on for a backup on IP addresses. That is a member of
> the PDC. I think this is mucking it up some how, but corp
> has mandated the structure to look this way.
>
> Do I install WINS on the 2000 server so the XP box will
> see everything? IF I do will it hurt anything?

Yes I have two DHCP servers, the are handing ouit
different set of IP's not the same. I set up the 2000 to
learn the server and in the process we did not have a
backup DHCP server so I set this one up to do that. I'll
try what you mention below and get back to ya
Jess

Hi Jess,

I didn't mean to imply they were handing out
duplicate addresses. I was assuming they
were handing out tcp/ip addresses on the
same tcp/ip subnet.