WINTV-GO VCRS

James

I am thinking about buying a WINTV-GO card. I Have lots of movies on
VHS I want to be able to watch on my DVD Player. I need to know:

1. Can I do this with this card?

2. Will it take forever to burn the movie?. For example. I have GUYS &
DOLLS on VHS which is like a 2 hour movie. Will the MPEG movie made
with WINTV-GO be so huge it will take hours and hours to burn onto a
CD?. I have a 52X Sony Burner.

3. Will the movies play back on my DVD player good?. I have downloaded
episodes of the SOPRANOS that look really fuzzy and sometimes when I
try and burn those episodes onto CDs to watch on my DVD player the
dialouge comes out to fast, IE characters talk and the audio is off by
a few seconds

4. Can I tape TV shows and save the files as MPEGS or AVIs?

Thanks

JV

Hactar

In article <5f754003.0404101653.34c16621@posting.google.com>,
James <atlantic965@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am thinking about buying a WINTV-GO card. I Have lots of movies on
> VHS I want to be able to watch on my DVD Player. I need to know:
>

> 1. Can I do this with this card?

a. How do you watch something on a DVD player, not a TV?

b. Why not just use a switchbox to connect the DVD player and VCR both to
the TV?

c. IIRC, the WinTV-GO is monophonic when recording off the air.

> 2. Will it take forever to burn the movie?. For example. I have GUYS &
> DOLLS on VHS which is like a 2 hour movie. Will the MPEG movie made
> with WINTV-GO be so huge it will take hours and hours to burn onto a
> CD?. I have a 52X Sony Burner.

I used to have a Duron 1100, and it could do MPEG compression in real
time. Now I have an Athlon 2GHz and it'll do simultaneous playback and
recording. So no, not longer than 2 hours. (I'm pretty sure my card, an
AiW Radeon 8500DV, doesn't have a hardware encoder.)

However, my resulting files are ~1GB/hour, so you could fit at most 40
minutes onto a CD. That 2-hour movie would take 3 CDs. There are probably
ways to squeeze more movie onto a disk, but really, VHS probably looks better
than CD.

> 3. Will the movies play back on my DVD player good?. I have downloaded
> episodes of the SOPRANOS that look really fuzzy and sometimes when I
> try and burn those episodes onto CDs to watch on my DVD player the
> dialouge comes out to fast, IE characters talk and the audio is off by
> a few seconds

I believe that's a function of either the player or the encoder, not of the
format.

> 4. Can I tape TV shows and save the files as MPEGS or AVIs?

With any decent software, there's always a way.

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?
A: A purple Hayes.

"Keith Clark" <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Just wondering if its got a 3 comb filter like my aiw 9600 does?

My mp captures are very good...

my 2 cents

xman Charlie wrote:

> "Keith Clark" <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Just wondering if its got a 3 comb filter like my aiw 9600 does?
>
> My mp captures are very good...
>
> my 2 cents

Good question.

On 11 Apr 2004 05:35:19 -0700, atlantic965@yahoo.com (James) wrote:

>I really can't afford PVR-250. They are at around $150. Am I wasting
>money on WINTV-GO?.

For user reviews of the card you may check the capture card section on
www.dvdrhelp.com

IMVHO the WinTV-Go is very much value for money. I've been using the
card for more than 4 years now to capture off-air and from VHS.
To get stereo sound you only need to plug your VCR audio out into the
line in of your sound card.
Like other people already mentioned the software coming with the card
is limited. Better use AVI_IO or VirtualDub to record to hard disk.
Using the right filter chains in VirtualDub for post processing will
improve quality of the final project but filtering and converting to
mpg2 is going to take hours and hours, I agree with that.

Peter van der Sluis
Pijnacker, The Netherlands

mailto:screen66@xs4alldotnl
change 66 for 55