WinXP on an IDE drive won't see a SATA drive. Help Please!

I am running WinXP on an IDE HD and an A7N8X-E Motherboard. I've installed
a SATA drive (already partitioned and formatted) to be used for data, but
XP won't recognize it. The SATA shows up on the screen during boot as it
should, right after the option about a SATA driver for RAID (I don't have
RAID). Also, I tried loading Fdisk from a Win98 boot diskette, and it sees
the SATA drive properly.

In the process of trying "everything," I added a third HD with Win98SE on
it, booted that, and lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize the SATA drive
right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a normal drive in
every way. XP does see the Win98 drive normally, but not the SATA drive.

Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol!]

I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!

jmvcq wrote:

> I am running WinXP on an IDE HD and an A7N8X-E Motherboard. I've installed
> a SATA drive (already partitioned and formatted) to be used for data, but
> XP won't recognize it. The SATA shows up on the screen during boot as it
> should, right after the option about a SATA driver for RAID (I don't have
> RAID). Also, I tried loading Fdisk from a Win98 boot diskette, and it sees
> the SATA drive properly.
>
> In the process of trying "everything," I added a third HD with Win98SE on
> it, booted that, and lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize the SATA drive
> right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a normal drive in
> every way. XP does see the Win98 drive normally, but not the SATA drive.
>
> Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol!]
>
> I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!

Have you loaded the SATA driver that comes with the A7N8X-E? If not, then
XP can't recognize the drive--the Silicon Image SATA chip is newer than XP
so XP doesn't come with a driver for it.

98 does recognize it because 98 when it doesn't have a 32-bit driver reverts
to 16-bit access via the BIOS calls.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

In article <cl38dj02bjr@news1.newsguy.com>, jclarke@nospam.invalid says...
> jmvcq wrote:
>
> > I am running WinXP on an IDE HD and an A7N8X-E Motherboard. I've installed
> > a SATA drive (already partitioned and formatted) to be used for data, but
> > XP won't recognize it. The SATA shows up on the screen during boot as it
> > should, right after the option about a SATA driver for RAID (I don't have
> > RAID). Also, I tried loading Fdisk from a Win98 boot diskette, and it sees
> > the SATA drive properly.
> >
> > In the process of trying "everything," I added a third HD with Win98SE on
> > it, booted that, and lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize the SATA drive
> > right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a normal drive in
> > every way. XP does see the Win98 drive normally, but not the SATA drive.
> >
> > Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol!]
> >
> > I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!
>
> Have you loaded the SATA driver that comes with the A7N8X-E? If not, then
> XP can't recognize the drive--the Silicon Image SATA chip is newer than XP
> so XP doesn't come with a driver for it.

I have not, I had assumed the Silicon Driver was only for a new XP install
on a SATA drive. That may be it! Would you know how I can go about
installing that driver? During a new install, XP has the F6 option to do
that. But what about when XP is already installed, as in my case? I looked
into the Silicon 1.0.50 package, and there are eight files, none of which
has an .exe extension, or seems to be a loader.

jmvcq wrote:

> In article <cl38dj02bjr@news1.newsguy.com>, jclarke@nospam.invalid says...
>> jmvcq wrote:
>>
>> > I am running WinXP on an IDE HD and an A7N8X-E Motherboard. I've
>> > installed a SATA drive (already partitioned and formatted) to be used
>> > for data, but XP won't recognize it. The SATA shows up on the screen
>> > during boot as it should, right after the option about a SATA driver
>> > for RAID (I don't have RAID). Also, I tried loading Fdisk from a Win98
>> > boot diskette, and it sees the SATA drive properly.
>> >
>> > In the process of trying "everything," I added a third HD with Win98SE
>> > on it, booted that, and lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize the SATA
>> > drive right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a normal
>> > drive in every way. XP does see the Win98 drive normally, but not the
>> > SATA drive.
>> >
>> > Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol!]
>> >
>> > I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!
>>
>> Have you loaded the SATA driver that comes with the A7N8X-E? If not,
>> then XP can't recognize the drive--the Silicon Image SATA chip is newer
>> than XP so XP doesn't come with a driver for it.
>>
> I have not, I had assumed the Silicon Driver was only for a new XP install
> on a SATA drive. That may be it! Would you know how I can go about
> installing that driver? During a new install, XP has the F6 option to do
> that. But what about when XP is already installed, as in my case? I looked
> into the Silicon 1.0.50 package, and there are eight files, none of which
> has an .exe extension, or seems to be a loader.

If you downloaded the driver from the ASUS site
<http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=10&l3_id=23&m_id=5&f_name=Silicon_v1050.zip~zaqwedc>
there's a readme. But basically you need to unzip the files to a temporary
llocation, run the new hardware wizard, and select that location for the
driver files. If there's an "unknown device" showing up in device manager
you need to delete that first so that Windows will find the SATA chip
again.

--

"jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote in message news:1098174182.ZgX8ppIg1Rwl4GXxw4wh2Q@teranews
> I am running WinXP on an IDE HD and an A7N8X-E Motherboard. I've installed
> a SATA drive (already partitioned and formatted) to be used for data, but
> XP won't recognize it. The SATA shows up on the screen during boot as it
> should, right after the option about a SATA driver for RAID (I don't have
> RAID).

> Also, I tried loading Fdisk from a Win98 boot diskette, and it sees the SATA
> drive properly.

> In the process of trying "everything," I added a third HD with Win98SE on
> it, booted that, and lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize the SATA drive
> right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a normal drive in
> every way.

> XP does see the Win98 drive normally, but not the SATA drive.

If John's suggestion doesn't work, run Svend's Findpart.
The SATA drive probably has a slight problem with the primary
partition bootrecords. Win9x has no problem with that but XP does.

In article <1098232082.Jr7+4fIklQeKDJ0Faaj6rg@teranews>,
phlogiston@neverspam.com says...
> In article <cl38dj02bjr@news1.newsguy.com>, jclarke@nospam.invalid says...
> > jmvcq wrote:
> >
> > > I am running WinXP on an IDE HD and an A7N8X-E Motherboard. I've installed
> > > a SATA drive (already partitioned and formatted) to be used for data, but
> > > XP won't recognize it. The SATA shows up on the screen during boot as it
> > > should, right after the option about a SATA driver for RAID (I don't have
> > > RAID). Also, I tried loading Fdisk from a Win98 boot diskette, and it sees
> > > the SATA drive properly.
> > >
> > > In the process of trying "everything," I added a third HD with Win98SE on
> > > it, booted that, and lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize the SATA drive
> > > right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a normal drive in
> > > every way. XP does see the Win98 drive normally, but not the SATA drive.
> > >
> > > Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol!]
> > >
> > > I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!
> >
> > Have you loaded the SATA driver that comes with the A7N8X-E? If not, then
> > XP can't recognize the drive--the Silicon Image SATA chip is newer than XP
> > so XP doesn't come with a driver for it.
> >
> I have not, I had assumed the Silicon Driver was only for a new XP install
> on a SATA drive. That may be it! Would you know how I can go about
> installing that driver? During a new install, XP has the F6 option to do
> that. But what about when XP is already installed, as in my case? I looked
> into the Silicon 1.0.50 package, and there are eight files, none of which
> has an .exe extension, or seems to be a loader.

I went once again to the Device Manager, and, not seing anything about
SATA or SCSI, clicked on the line that says "Raid Controller", which I
had ignored before as I don't have RAID. Sure enough, *after* it opened,
it said "SCSI and RAID controller". I installed the Silicon driver from
there, with a diskette, and it worked!

Thank you all for your help!