WinXP pro SP2 assigning Drive letters

wurnman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Anyone know how to set WInXP to assign external drive letters by itself, sometimes you insert a flash disc or exter usb drive and windows picks it up but does not display the drive letter.

You then have to go to Manage option and change the drive letter to and unused one to force windows to read the drive.

Anyone know how one can tell windows to do this manually

sturm

Splendid
Do you have any mapped drives? Where I work there was a computer that was trying to assign usb drive to a letter that was mapped with a login script. The mapped drive showed up, but not the usb drive. Changed the second cd-rom to an unused letter like n and now the usb drive shows up just fine.

wurnman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Yep when a user logs in it assings drives to his or her pc. So it becomes a nightmare to assign a drive letter for a flash disc etc.

Manage to find a small program that does it for you, works great.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Try it out, its free as long as you use it for personal use. Small fee to be paid if you use it in commercial use.

Do you have any mapped drives? Where I work there was a computer that was trying to assign usb drive to a letter that was mapped with a login script. The mapped drive showed up, but not the usb drive. Changed the second cd-rom to an unused letter like n and now the usb drive shows up just fine.

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
you can use window MMC panel in administrative tools to change the drive letters manually.

go to storage >click on disk managment> right click the mouse on the drive that you want to change.

wurnman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
thx for info, i know about this method. I wanted windows to automatically do it for me.

I found a applications here http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

that does it all for you. Very cool app.

you can use window MMC panel in administrative tools to change the drive letters manually.

go to storage >click on disk managment> right click the mouse on the drive that you want to change.