Question WinXP Professional WiFi Question

kkester

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
I'm running WinXP Professional SP3 in an older computer that I merely use for simple e-mail. We have two homes: one where I connect the computer via a network cable and the other where wifi is the mode of connection, and which has been used at this location for years.

Recently, I found that I couldn't connect to my wifi at the second location and the only way I could do so would be to stop and start the wireless zero configuration service--and this would only work for a few hours. I ran sfc using my HP WinXP SP3 installation CD and nothing changed. And then, the problem went away after we were back to our other house (wifi works there after I configured a 2.4 extender) and then back to the location where the problem originally was identified. Any insights?

You do realize that if you are connecting ANY "Windows XP" device to the internet, at all, you are 100% setting yourself up to be a victim of either malware/virus attack or a hacker, since it's been MANY years since that OS had any security updates and as of now it is an extremely not-secure OS even for "simple email". It doesn't really matter if you're just using it for "simple email". You are connecting it to the internet and that instantly makes you incredibly vulnerable. It's a bad idea and you should REALLY, REALLY retire that machine if you cannot install something newer on it.

As to the network question, I understand that you require assistance with this, but unfortunately I am loathe to offer any that would aid you in connecting this machine to the web, because it's not just YOUR system that you put at risk by doing this, it's EVERY system you come into contact with while online AND every person you are emailing. It is not a matter of making a mountain out of a molehill either. Connecting to the web via an XP device is LITERALLY a mountain when it comes to security risk.