WinXP recovery console

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi,

I've added a new drive and changed the partition configuration on a
multiboot system. As a result, WinXP became unbootable. After study of the
problem, I've used recovery console to fix various problems including
boot.ini using bootcfg options. It is a learning process. I've come to the
point where I think I've done everything correctly. At this point, I have
only one partition, and one OS, WinXP on its original drive. I have the
administrator's password. Everything looks OK. Since there is only one OS,
the boot process boots directly and fast. There is a screen with a scrolling
bit display, then the screen flashes and displays a light blue screen with
dark blue bands top and bottom. In the middle of the light blue screen is
the MS logo and "Microsoft Windows XP". It looks good but it seems to have
locked my out. It does not give me an logon screen. I can't logon as
administrator or user. What do I need to do? Thanks.

Ian St. John

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Have you tried "sfc /scannow", without the quotes from the command prompt?

--

Cheers,
Tinkerer

"Ian St. John" <istjohn@noemail.usa> wrote in message
[...]

The "sfc /scannow" command is not recognized by the recovery console started
up by the WinXP install CD I have here at home, which is rather old. I
noticed that number of useful commands documented online do not work either.
Maybe the problem is the limitations of my rather old WinXP install CD. I'll
check for a more up-to-date release at work. Thanks.

"Tinkerer" <me@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried "sfc /scannow", without the quotes from the command prompt?
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
> Tinkerer
>

> "Ian St. John" <istjohn@noemail.usa> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've added a new drive and changed the partition configuration on a
> multiboot system. As a result, WinXP became unbootable. After study of the
> problem, I've used recovery console to fix various problems including
> boot.ini using bootcfg options. It is a learning process. I've come to the
> point where I think I've done everything correctly. At this point, I have
> only one partition, and one OS, WinXP on its original drive. I have the
> administrator's password. Everything looks OK. Since there is only one OS,
> the boot process boots directly and fast. There is a screen with a
> scrolling
> bit display, then the screen flashes and displays a light blue screen with
> dark blue bands top and bottom. In the middle of the light blue screen is
> the MS logo and "Microsoft Windows XP". It looks good but it seems to have
> locked my out. It does not give me an logon screen. I can't logon as
> administrator or user. What do I need to do? Thanks.
>
> Ian St. John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

"Fixmbr", "fixboot": been there, done that. Thanks anyway.
"Safe mode" in WinXP is of little utility, I find. Not like 'safe mode' in
WinME.
"In place repair" ought to work but in my hands I have not got it to work as
well as for WinME. The problem with WinXP installation in a multivolume,
multiOS setup is that WinXP likes to screw up stuff that already works. Mind
you, there are many packages like that. I had a problem with Seagate's
"DiscWizard". It installed a disk detector that screwed up my Castlewood Orb
work. The reply I got back from Seagate was "reformat your removable disks".
Thanks, but no thanks.

Presently, I'm installing Linux 9.0 on the unused space of my Seagate drive.
Maybe Grub can open up WinXP.

"Tinkerer" <me@myhouse.com> wrote in message
IIRC, there is also a "fixmbr" and "fixboot" option, and another one that I
can't remember the name of that searches for windows installations and adds
them to the registry. These may, or may not help.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixboot.mspx

If that fails, I would try to do an inplace repair.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Also, can you boot into safe mode? If so, you may want to try installing
the recovery console as a start up option to make things go a bit quicker.
:)
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/recovery_install_console.mspx

--

The "sfc /scannow" command is not recognized by the recovery console started
up by the WinXP install CD I have here at home, which is rather old. I
noticed that number of useful commands documented online do not work either.
Maybe the problem is the limitations of my rather old WinXP install CD. I'll
check for a more up-to-date release at work. Thanks.

"Tinkerer" <me@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried "sfc /scannow", without the quotes from the command prompt?
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
> Tinkerer
>

> "Ian St. John" <istjohn@noemail.usa> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've added a new drive and changed the partition configuration on a
> multiboot system. As a result, WinXP became unbootable. After study of the
> problem, I've used recovery console to fix various problems including
> boot.ini using bootcfg options. It is a learning process. I've come to the
> point where I think I've done everything correctly. At this point, I have
> only one partition, and one OS, WinXP on its original drive. I have the
> administrator's password. Everything looks OK. Since there is only one OS,
> the boot process boots directly and fast. There is a screen with a
> scrolling
> bit display, then the screen flashes and displays a light blue screen with
> dark blue bands top and bottom. In the middle of the light blue screen is
> the MS logo and "Microsoft Windows XP". It looks good but it seems to have
> locked my out. It does not give me an logon screen. I can't logon as
> administrator or user. What do I need to do? Thanks.
>
> Ian St. John

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

What part of the repair install isn't *working*? Even with Grub, I doubt
you'll be able to get XP to log on properly. Also, sfc /scannow *will* run
in safe mode, as will installing the recovery console to disc. You can
also use the XP disc in safe mode to do an in place upgrade of the
installation, so I don't really know why you're calling it "of little
utility".

--

> [...]

> only one partition, and one OS, WinXP on its original drive. I have the
> administrator's password. Everything looks OK. Since there is only one OS,
> the boot process boots directly and fast. There is a screen with a
> scrolling
> bit display, then the screen flashes and displays a light blue screen with
> dark blue bands top and bottom. In the middle of the light blue screen is
> the MS logo and "Microsoft Windows XP". It looks good but it seems to have
> locked my out. It does not give me an logon screen. I can't logon as
> administrator or user. What do I need to do? Thanks.
>
> Ian St. John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

The reason I say "safe mode is of little utility" is that I have not yet got
a command console to open in 'safe mode', even when I select 'safe mode with
command console'. So far it has been of 'little utility for me'. WinXP may
not like what I am doing. Even Linux 9.0 install will only allow me to
install certain multiboot options. The file systems are my property, in my
possession, but perhaps the security features of the OS's do not allow easy
access. Out of necessity at one point, I was forced to install a second
WinXP OS on a new partition, when my first failed to boot. I had used the
first since ~2001. I had 4 years of work on that partition. I found the only
way I could access my work from the second installation of WinXP was to use
'Backup' and then 'Restore in a new location', with the security features
disabled. I'm not a tinkerer. I'm a mature user who wishes to circumvent
what may be built in security features that make an OS like WinXP 'lockup'.
But at this point I am only hypothesizing, since I have not yet opened up my
WinXP file system. I'll keep trying until I do.

> [...]
>> boot.ini using bootcfg options. It is a learning process. I've come to
>> the
>> point where I think I've done everything correctly. At this point, I have
>> only one partition, and one OS, WinXP on its original drive. I have the
>> administrator's password. Everything looks OK. Since there is only one
>> OS,
>> the boot process boots directly and fast. There is a screen with a
>> scrolling
>> bit display, then the screen flashes and displays a light blue screen
>> with
>> dark blue bands top and bottom. In the middle of the light blue screen is
>> the MS logo and "Microsoft Windows XP". It looks good but it seems to
>> have
>> locked my out. It does not give me an logon screen. I can't logon as
>> administrator or user. What do I need to do? Thanks.

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Sorry if I intimated you were a *tinkerer* Ian...:) Have you ever made a
BartPE disk to boot from? It has an integrated file manager that will let
you browse the files of the corrupt installation, as well as moving and
copying files to different locations, that is, if you haven't already been
in there with Linux 9.0. BartPE has saved me a tremendous amount of time on
several occasions. I wish I had more insight into your trouble though.

--

> Sorry if I intimated you were a *tinkerer* Ian...:) Have you ever made a
> BartPE disk to boot from? It has an integrated file manager that will let
> you browse the files of the corrupt installation, as well as moving and
> copying files to different locations, that is, if you haven't already been
> in there with Linux 9.0. BartPE has saved me a tremendous amount of time
> on
> several occasions. I wish I had more insight into your trouble though.

At this point, I don't think the installation is corrupt. I got a little
further with the Linux Grub loader (maybe it was just circumstance). The
multiboot system was connected to another WinXP system (a laptop) connected
to the Internet via dialup modem ppp. When WinXP came up with Linux Grub,
the laptop system complained of a IP conflict. Shortly after, the multiboot
WinXP gave a similar complaint. Maybe it is not corrupt, just waiting for a
reply from DHCP. I'll keep plugging away. I thank you for the suggestions.
Maybe I should try 'safe mode with network support'. Unfortutely, I cannot
change any network settings until I can a least get a command console. I
think I am making progress. This may take some more 'hacking'. Any helpful
suggestions appreciated with thanks.

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Did I also mention that BartPE has network management in it? I'm not sure
if it changes windows network settings, but if it's connected to a lan you
should also be able to browse the lan. And BartPE doesn't install anything
on your hard drive, it all runs from the disk. I am curious as to why you
keep saying you need a command console in safe mode? Any time I've booted
WinXP into safemode, after going through a couple of prompts, I get a
desktop, and I can use the cd drives, browse my hard drives, use most
utilities. I'm wondering if maybe you're never actually getting into safe
mode but hanging up somewhere?

--

"Tinkerer" <me@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> Sorry if I intimated you were a *tinkerer* Ian...:) Have you ever made a
> BartPE disk to boot from? It has an integrated file manager that will let
> you browse the files of the corrupt installation, as well as moving and
> copying files to different locations, that is, if you haven't already been
> in there with Linux 9.0. BartPE has saved me a tremendous amount of time
> on
> several occasions. I wish I had more insight into your trouble though.

At this point, I don't think the installation is corrupt. I got a little
further with the Linux Grub loader (maybe it was just circumstance). The
multiboot system was connected to another WinXP system (a laptop) connected
to the Internet via dialup modem ppp. When WinXP came up with Linux Grub,
the laptop system complained of a IP conflict. Shortly after, the multiboot
WinXP gave a similar complaint. Maybe it is not corrupt, just waiting for a
reply from DHCP. I'll keep plugging away. I thank you for the suggestions.
Maybe I should try 'safe mode with network support'. Unfortutely, I cannot
change any network settings until I can a least get a command console. I
think I am making progress. This may take some more 'hacking'. Any helpful
suggestions appreciated with thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:17:53 -0400, "Ian St. John"

>The "sfc /scannow" command is not recognized by the recovery console started
>up by the WinXP install CD I have here at home, which is rather old.

I don't think Recovery Console (RC) has got any better - it is to
"real" bootable maintenance OS CDs what MS-DOS 4's DOS Shell was to
"real" DOS front-end menus and file mangers (i.e. a "proof of concept"
prototype so weak that it almost disproves the concept).

RC is a useful bunch of canned tricks, but it is not an operating
system. An operating system can run external programs, which RC
cannot do. It's also not a "recovery" tool, in the sense of
recovering your data. At the very least, such a tool would let you
copy off files in bulk, whereas the best RC can do is copy files off
one at a time, by name (no windcards or subtree copies) and even that
is only if you'd facilitated Set commands beforehand. Hopeless.

RC can recover useability (including bootability) of the OS, and
that's a valuable thing indeed. It's just not a suitable replacement
for Win9x's DOS mode as an NTFS-era maintenance OS.

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Our senses are our UI to reality

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:eek:6kvf1hod7ahu21bte8cp7r1sq1p8b0h1p@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:17:53 -0400, "Ian St. John"
>
>>The "sfc /scannow" command is not recognized by the recovery console
>>started
>>up by the WinXP install CD I have here at home, which is rather old.
>
> I don't think Recovery Console (RC) has got any better - it is to
> "real" bootable maintenance OS CDs what MS-DOS 4's DOS Shell was to
> "real" DOS front-end menus and file mangers (i.e. a "proof of concept"
> prototype so weak that it almost disproves the concept).
>
> RC is a useful bunch of canned tricks, but it is not an operating
> system. An operating system can run external programs, which RC
> cannot do. It's also not a "recovery" tool, in the sense of
> recovering your data. At the very least, such a tool would let you
> copy off files in bulk, whereas the best RC can do is copy files off
> one at a time, by name (no windcards or subtree copies) and even that
> is only if you'd facilitated Set commands beforehand. Hopeless.
>
> RC can recover useability (including bootability) of the OS, and
> that's a valuable thing indeed. It's just not a suitable replacement
> for Win9x's DOS mode as an NTFS-era maintenance OS.

Thanks for the commentary. Maybe I should stick with the WinXP install CD I
have at home.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"Ian St. John" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've added a new drive and changed the partition configuration on a
> multiboot system. As a result, WinXP became unbootable. After study of the
> problem, I've used recovery console to fix various problems including
> boot.ini using bootcfg options. It is a learning process. I've come to the
> point where I think I've done everything correctly. At this point, I have
> only one partition, and one OS, WinXP on its original drive. I have the
> administrator's password. Everything looks OK. Since there is only one OS,
> the boot process boots directly and fast. There is a screen with a scrolling
> bit display, then the screen flashes and displays a light blue screen with
> dark blue bands top and bottom. In the middle of the light blue screen is
> the MS logo and "Microsoft Windows XP". It looks good but it seems to have
> locked my out. It does not give me an logon screen. I can't logon as
> administrator or user. What do I need to do? Thanks.
>
> Ian St. John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi,
Boot from the Windows Installation CD. When it asks for the option,
New installtion or Repair, selsct R for repair. Everything will be sorted out
if it is a software problem.
Varkey

"Ian St. John" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've added a new drive and changed the partition configuration on a
> multiboot system. As a result, WinXP became unbootable. After study of the
> problem, I've used recovery console to fix various problems including
> boot.ini using bootcfg options. It is a learning process. I've come to the
> point where I think I've done everything correctly. At this point, I have
> only one partition, and one OS, WinXP on its original drive. I have the
> administrator's password. Everything looks OK. Since there is only one OS,
> the boot process boots directly and fast. There is a screen with a scrolling
> bit display, then the screen flashes and displays a light blue screen with
> dark blue bands top and bottom. In the middle of the light blue screen is
> the MS logo and "Microsoft Windows XP". It looks good but it seems to have
> locked my out. It does not give me an logon screen. I can't logon as
> administrator or user. What do I need to do? Thanks.
>
> Ian St. John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:02:43 -0400, "Ian St. John"
>"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org>
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:17:53 -0400, "Ian St. John"

>>>The "sfc /scannow" command is not recognized by the recovery console
>>>by the WinXP install CD I have here at home, which is rather old.

>> RC is a useful bunch of canned tricks, but it is not an operating
>> system. An operating system can run external programs, which RC
>> cannot do. RC can recover useability (including bootability) of the OS
>> It's just not a suitable NTFS-era maintenance OS.

>Thanks for the commentary. Maybe I should stick with the WinXP install CD I
>have at home.

That's only useful if you want to "just" re-install, which is safe
only if a large number of conditions are met (RAM and other hardware
is defect-free, hard drive is defect-free, file system is safe for
writes, no deleted material needs recovering - those are the bare
minimum safety requirements).

See: http://cquirke.mvps.org/reinst.htm

For everything else, Bart PE is the best management platform, but you
have to find and use it to build the boot CDR before your need arises!

From a Bart PE boot that's had the relevant tools added, you can test
the hard drive for defects, evacuate data, and do a few data recovery
things that may be enough to manage the "easy" cases.

RC's still the quickest way to resolve a very particular set of
bootability issues, however.

The fourth and fifth bootable things to have, are a RAM tester such as
MemTest86, and a partition imagrer and manipulator such as BING.

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

"Tinkerer" <me@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> Sorry if I intimated you were a *tinkerer* Ian...:) Have you ever made a
> BartPE disk to boot from? It has an integrated file manager that will let
> you browse the files of the corrupt installation, as well as moving and
> copying files to different locations, that is, if you haven't already been
> in there with Linux 9.0. BartPE has saved me a tremendous amount of time
> on
> several occasions. I wish I had more insight into your trouble though.

Thank you for the advice. I've looked at BartPE; it does not infringe
Microsoft. I think a more direct solution for my problem is to use a
bootable WinXP CD that I borrowed from work and to install a copy of WinXP
on a removable Castlewood Orb Cartridge (again!). Then I should have various
strategies to make the hard drive WinXP partition bootable. A lot of time is
wasted in the preservation of software assets because of the monopolistic
behaviour of Microsoft, a company that has been fined billions of dollars
for its monopolistic behaviour with respect to the consumer. I'm not going
to argue with Bill Gates over my ownership of my assets but I will readily
criticize his efforts to make life difficult for me. I am trying to move
towards Linux exclusively, but since I been using Microsoft for over ten
years and since I only have two computers (each multiboot) I'm locked into a
less than productive dilemma. I'll keep trying until I succeed.