WinXP Software Install Not Rebooting

We have a software package that we want our customers to be able to
push out to their desktops via GPO. A reboot is required before the
software becomes fully operational. I've authored an msi package to
use for this purpose, and specified that a reboot must occur. Running
the msi package from the commandline on either WinXP or Win2K machines
works fine - i.e., a silent install automatically reboots the
machines, while an install with a user interface puts up a reboot
prompt at the end of the setup.

While testing this package under Group Policy, we've found that when
the target machine is a Win2K machine, the install works as expected,
but when the target is a WinXp Pro machine, the machine will not
reboot.

Our test environment is a Win2K-based AD with the WinXP Group Policy
templates successfully applied to the AD controller machine. The GPO
is computer-based, not user-based. When a WinXP machine is started,
we can see our software being installed prior to the logon dialog's
appearance, but no reboot ever occurs. On a Win2K machine, the
software installation takes place before the logon dialog (just as in
WinXP) AND the machine reboots before a logon is allowed. This is the
behavior we are expecting with WinXP. We've told the machines to
generate a detailed log of the setup (via the GPO) and in the log on
the WinXP machines we see the following text:

MSI (C) (98:D0): Passing reboot request to the service.

Also, the App Event Log on the WinXP machines shows an event from the
MsiInstaller (event ID 1005) which says the following:

The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or
continue the configuration of 'Lightspeed Systems Security Agent'.

It sure looks like the WinXP machines should be rebooting, but they
don't.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Rob Jones

Here's a message from a guy at a company so desperate for attention
that they have to web-squat on the macsoft.com domain name to get any
business. Pathetic.