Filip_35

Commendable
Aug 2, 2017
Hi, i have a minipc sapphire edge hd2.
specs:
-cpu: intel atom D525 Dual Core 1.8GHz
-ram 2gb 800MHz
-gpu: nvidia ion 512mb

Default it was running windows 7 on 5200rpm hdd and it was fast for that weak pc. Then I installed WinXP for older software and it was going slow. Even folders like thispc or control panel were working faster under win7. I can't even watch videos on youtube on fullscreen even on 360p, because on fullscreen I can see the rendering lines of video and i get max 8 fps, but sound is ok. on win7 i could watch video in 720p without any lags. I thought that if i buy ssd it'll fix the lags with folders, because cpu is not going to more than 10%. Even after i got ssd it lags and is slow, only boots much faster.

I did install all drivers from sapphire website.

btw, i tried winVista and it's going fast as 7, but only without all drivers, then it slows down. I tried also 10. it was slow, but internet was faster, but 10 is slow on modern pcs too.

my question is: what can be done to fast winXP up on this pc? Win7 is always fast on that pc.

thanks

edit: i can watch yt videos on 720p in any windows with drivers newer than xp and on xp I can see tearing even when vsync turned on.

jjherg3344

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018
I would try Windows 8.1 due to great auto driver detection, still being supported, able to download fully legal ISO straight from Microsoft and being very lightweight.

Filip_35

Commendable
Aug 2, 2017

now, i tried and almost no chnage. i installed 3 versions, none of them beta as the newest for nvidia ion for xp is from 2014.
on the newest there is no tearing on games with vsync(only better change), webpages are very laggy as before and yt videos are same too.
and what can be done about whole system slow, slower than win7 on this pc?

From the info I've found, this PC was shipped with Windows 7, which is two generations ahead from WinXP. I would not be surprised if there is no WinXP support from the manufacturer.

Unless you use some fancy peripherals (and you're not, this PC has nothing apart from USB, VGA and HDMI) - why not run your legacy software inside a VM?

Filip_35

Commendable
Aug 2, 2017
yes, it was shipped with 7, but official drivers for xp are there, even chipset driver.
that's why i think it should go at least as fast as 7 if not faster.

and why not to run my legacy software/games in vm?
because in any vm i tried there was an issue with mouse in games. software would be ok.