winxp turns cd rom into a hard disk drive and then reads "..

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

First time posting...ever. Im running winxp pro and i
dont remember when this started but sometime in less than
a week my cd rw rom is always being read as a hard disk
drive under my computer. The cd rom's jumper is set to
cable select. I also recently flashed it with new
firmware i think it is.

To try to fix it I go into mycomputer> manage and then to
disk management and it recognises it as a cd rom. As
does the device manager. However in my computer the
drive shows up as a hard drive and when I have a cd in
the drive I am continuosly prompted with the "Low Disk
Space" bubble from systray. I am aware of how to disable
the low disk prompts. But I realise I shouldnt be
getting them at all as the cdrom shouldnt be under hard
disk drives.

So Once in computer management and disk management I go
to the properties of the cdrom listed and try to change
the drive letter. This suceeds in my comptuer and places
the cd rom with its new assigned drive letter
under "Devices With Removable Storage". However as soon
as I stick in a disc and it starts reading it changes
back to being a hard disk drive. What the hell is going
on here?

Also I want to let it be known that previous to having
the cd rom I had stuck a hard drive with some files to be
transfered ..plugged into the same ide cable spot which
reads "Master" Could this problem be some sort of
symptom of having a hard drive previously plugged into
the same ide cable?

Thanks
-Gary

Sounds rather interesting. Have you tried this? Click Start-Run-Type
devmgmt.msc and click OK. Now find your CD Drive that is causing the
problems, right click on it and uninstall/remove it. Now reboot and see
if the problem persists.

----
Nathan McNulty

Gary wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First time posting...ever. Im running winxp pro and i
> dont remember when this started but sometime in less than
> a week my cd rw rom is always being read as a hard disk
> drive under my computer. The cd rom's jumper is set to
> cable select. I also recently flashed it with new
> firmware i think it is.
>
> To try to fix it I go into mycomputer> manage and then to
> disk management and it recognises it as a cd rom. As
> does the device manager. However in my computer the
> drive shows up as a hard drive and when I have a cd in
> the drive I am continuosly prompted with the "Low Disk
> Space" bubble from systray. I am aware of how to disable
> the low disk prompts. But I realise I shouldnt be
> getting them at all as the cdrom shouldnt be under hard
> disk drives.
>
> So Once in computer management and disk management I go
> to the properties of the cdrom listed and try to change
> the drive letter. This suceeds in my comptuer and places
> the cd rom with its new assigned drive letter
> under "Devices With Removable Storage". However as soon
> as I stick in a disc and it starts reading it changes
> back to being a hard disk drive. What the hell is going
> on here?
>
> Also I want to let it be known that previous to having
> the cd rom I had stuck a hard drive with some files to be
> transfered ..plugged into the same ide cable spot which
> reads "Master" Could this problem be some sort of
> symptom of having a hard drive previously plugged into
> the same ide cable?
>
> Thanks
> -Gary

Yeah I have tried removing the drive from device manager....only to have it
redetect it and to continue with the same problems mentioned before.

Im a newb at this but I have also just flashed some new bios and installed
sp2 for xp so maybe i will find it fixed after i reboot.

I also wanted to mention that I am a newb at this OS and that i now realise
that the cdrw is supposed to appear under disk management under computer
management.

Thanks for the reply Nathan

-Gary