WinXPhow to reconfigure drives

Running brand new SONY VAIO PCV-RS520 w/3000E.
Have two drives configured by manufacturer as follows:
(C:) = 14gig and (D:) = 129gig (w/ preloaded software)
Have reached 90% capacity on C: drive and wish to re-allocate space. To
remove 29gig from D: and add it to C: drive, BUT
_without_loosing_file/s/folder/s_content_. SONY states this not
covered by warranty and does not reccomend doing so. Idiotic response
and follow-up inquiry given 'benign neglect' treatment, though not
surprising and atypical of today's companies.
Anybody who has reconfigured WinXP (Home or ProEd)
successfully...Please advise by describing path
(e.g-START>CONTROLPANEL>etc., etc.). Thanks in advance.

--
doctorhugo

Why not just re-install some of your programs onto D?.. or move files that
you have generated to D?..

"doctorhugo" <doctorhugo.1f9w4y@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Running brand new SONY VAIO PCV-RS520 w/3000E.
> Have two drives configured by manufacturer as follows:
> (C:) = 14gig and (D:) = 129gig (w/ preloaded software)
> Have reached 90% capacity on C: drive and wish to re-allocate space. To
> remove 29gig from D: and add it to C: drive, BUT
> _without_loosing_file/s/folder/s_content_. SONY states this not
> covered by warranty and does not reccomend doing so. Idiotic response
> and follow-up inquiry given 'benign neglect' treatment, though not
> surprising and atypical of today's companies.
> Anybody who has reconfigured WinXP (Home or ProEd)
> successfully...Please advise by describing path
> (e.g-START>CONTROLPANEL>etc., etc.). Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> doctorhugo

The response is not so idiotic. You cannot change the partition sizes with
Windows without losing everything. You can do it with third part software,
but you will lose data in the D: drive, so you will need an external hard
drive to temporarily move the contents off of D:. The problem is the
placement of the files you already have on D:. Most if not all of them will
be in the area of the partition that you want to merge with C:. If you
don't have something like Partition Magic or an external drive, or at least
a DVD rewriter so you can archive all of the files on D:, then I think
Mike's suggestion is the only safe one. Identify which programs you have
cd's for and then use Add/Remove programs to uninstall some programs and
then reinstall and select the D: drive for installation instead of the
default C: drive. A few files will still be installed on C:, but very
little. If you have a lot of pictures and music and are storing all of your
pictures and music in My Pictures and My Music, you may be able to solve the
problem by moving the contents of those two folders (you cannot move the
folders themselves) to folders on D:.

"doctorhugo" <doctorhugo.1f9w4y@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Running brand new SONY VAIO PCV-RS520 w/3000E.
> Have two drives configured by manufacturer as follows:
> (C:) = 14gig and (D:) = 129gig (w/ preloaded software)
> Have reached 90% capacity on C: drive and wish to re-allocate space. To
> remove 29gig from D: and add it to C: drive, BUT
> _without_loosing_file/s/folder/s_content_. SONY states this not
> covered by warranty and does not reccomend doing so. Idiotic response
> and follow-up inquiry given 'benign neglect' treatment, though not
> surprising and atypical of today's companies.
> Anybody who has reconfigured WinXP (Home or ProEd)
> successfully...Please advise by describing path
> (e.g-START>CONTROLPANEL>etc., etc.). Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> doctorhugo

Guess you really don't know Partition Magic very well. With the program you
can "shrink" drive D and have the space become available in the beginning of
the partition. Then you can expand Drive C to encompass that space. No files
will be lost (under normal circumstances).

I do it often!

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> The response is not so idiotic. You cannot change the partition sizes
> with Windows without losing everything. You can do it with third part
> software, but you will lose data in the D: drive, so you will need an
> external hard drive to temporarily move the contents off of D:. The
> problem is the placement of the files you already have on D:. Most if not
> all of them will be in the area of the partition that you want to merge
> with C:. If you don't have something like Partition Magic or an external
> drive, or at least a DVD rewriter so you can archive all of the files on
> D:, then I think Mike's suggestion is the only safe one. Identify which
> programs you have cd's for and then use Add/Remove programs to uninstall
> some programs and then reinstall and select the D: drive for installation
> instead of the default C: drive. A few files will still be installed on
> C:, but very little. If you have a lot of pictures and music and are
> storing all of your pictures and music in My Pictures and My Music, you
> may be able to solve the problem by moving the contents of those two
> folders (you cannot move the folders themselves) to folders on D:.
>
> "doctorhugo" <doctorhugo.1f9w4y@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Running brand new SONY VAIO PCV-RS520 w/3000E.
>> Have two drives configured by manufacturer as follows:
>> (C:) = 14gig and (D:) = 129gig (w/ preloaded software)
>> Have reached 90% capacity on C: drive and wish to re-allocate space. To
>> remove 29gig from D: and add it to C: drive, BUT
>> _without_loosing_file/s/folder/s_content_. SONY states this not
>> covered by warranty and does not reccomend doing so. Idiotic response
>> and follow-up inquiry given 'benign neglect' treatment, though not
>> surprising and atypical of today's companies.
>> Anybody who has reconfigured WinXP (Home or ProEd)
>> successfully...Please advise by describing path
>> (e.g-START>CONTROLPANEL>etc., etc.). Thanks in advance.
>>

>> --
>> doctorhugo

A couple of points here..

1.. He has to purchase and have the ability to work Partition Magic which,
judging by the statement ".. Please advise by describing path
(e.g-START>CONTROLPANEL>etc., etc.)... ", he probably doesn't..

2.. The OP states that it is a brand new computer that Sony have told him
will have an invalidated warranty if he messes with it by using non-Sony
approved software..

His system is a Sony Digital Studio, and I have no doubt that he has created
files that are using excessive space on C drive.. if he had even basic
knowledge of computers, he would be able to just move files from one
partition to the other, thus freeing up space..

He would do well to 'RAFM' that may have been supplied with his system
unless, of course, he sees Sony manuals being one more atypical 'getout' of
this despicable imperialist corporation.. :)

(glossary) RTFM = Read The ____ Manual - RAFM = Read Any ____ Manual