WinZip 17 Now Shipping with Cloud Storage Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]Nice, but for me, I' ll keep using 7zip[/citation]

While the interface is way too cluttered if you just want to zip/unzip something, the OpenCL implementation cuts the time needed dramatically compared to Winrar and 7zip.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
[citation][nom]lahawzel[/nom]Oh man I remember last century when WinZip was the bomb.[/citation]
for a second i thought you were exaggerating, but holy shit you're right.

90s/early 2000 winzip all the way for me. then XP came along with it's own compression program and although it wasn't stellar it worked... using 7-zip now of course, but damn you are so right.

come to think of it, i have never needed to zip anything for the longest time... file extraction from an ISO but 30 bucks for a compression program isn't worth it for a regular home user...

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]Nice, but for me, I' ll keep using 7zip[/citation]
[citation][nom]osamabinrobot[/nom]hey im interested in seeing benchmarks on this with gpu utilization but ill continue to use 7zip most likely[/citation]
Unfortunately Igor doesn't seemed convinced of the benefits of OpenCL to add it to 7Zip:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/forums/forum/45797/topic/6013597

He suggests benchmarking with WinZip to determine the performance difference.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
For a while i thought corel was letting winzip die a slow death with its lack of improvements for years. Switched to 7zip too. But lately winzip is starting to fire up its engines again.

G

winzip who uses that anymore, i'm surprised that they are still in business?

i guess software companies like old generals never die, they just fade away...

time to move on to all the other zips that are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.