Question Wipe windows from SSD

Aug 8, 2019
I'm after buying a new SSD (Corsair MP600) that I want to install Windows 10 onto. I also have my old SSD (Samsung 850 Evo) that already has Windows 10 installed onto it, however I want to use this SSD as storage for games. Can anyone give me step by step guide on how to completely wipe everything on my old SSD INCLUDING windows 10?

Thanks 😊

As long as you boot from your new drive it should be pretty easy to format your old drive. Here is a guide

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/ans...10:-format-a-drive-in-windows-disk-management

You should also be able to do it from you file explorer, just right click on your old Drive (drive D or whatever it gets named) and select "format" from the little menu. It may ask you if youre sure you want to format a drive with windows on it, say yes, and then click format. The default values and formats it bring up by default should all be correct.

Be sure you have everything off the drive that you would want.

Reactions: Ali_Samir
Aug 8, 2019
As long as you boot from your new drive it should be pretty easy to format your old drive. Here is a guide

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37094/~/windows-10:-format-a-drive-in-windows-disk-management

You should also be able to do it from you file explorer, just right click on your old Drive (drive D or whatever it gets named) and select "format" from the little menu. It may ask you if youre sure you want to format a drive with windows on it, say yes, and then click format. The default values and formats it bring up by default should all be correct.

Be sure you have everything off the drive that you would want.
So do I format the old SSD after I have booted off of my new one?

Aug 8, 2019
You have another option to completely wipe your Samsung 850 Evo ssd and prepare it for reuse. Just use Samsung's "secure erase" feature. You can find it in the Samsung Magician app for your 850 EVO. No muss! No fuss! No bother!
Could I download the software onto the old SSD and then use it to wipe the SSD or would it have to be done from the new SSD?

You don't need to download anything if you are the one reusing the SSD...

Once booted off the new drive, you can select the old drive in admin tools/storage , delete existing partition(s), and merely do a quick format, and you are ready to use it in less than a second.

Additional wIping/sanitizing/zeroing tools would only be needed for security's sake if you were selling/disposing of the SSD, etc..

USAFRet

Titan
Adding to the above, just 'formatting' within File Explorer does not get rid of ALL the existing partitions.

You need to delve into Disk Management, and actually kill off all partitions on it.

And if that fails to delete the original boot partitions, commandline diskpart function and the clean command.

TRENDING THREADS