Wiped HP Compaq won't boot from CD.

Lions3020

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hi,

I have a HP Compaq 1702 desktop that has been completely wiped. When I try an start it up I get the message "Non-system disk or disk error replace and stroke any key when ready". I have a Windows Vista Home Basic CD and I have tried putting that in but it does not work. I know the CD is fine because I have put it into my laptop and it works.

I have also accessed the BIOS by pressing F10 on start up. I have accessed boot order and it is set as follows:

Multibay Device (except hard drive)
USB device
Hard Drive
Integrated SATA
Integrated IDE
Broadcom Ethernet controller.

From what I have googled, it seems that the multibay device is also the CD drive so I think it is right that that is first

I have also tried resetting default settings in the BIOS. Still the computer does not boot from the CD.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
I would begin here by getting your computer model number from the computer case itself (probably on the back). Then I would go to HP's support website and look up the computer.
I'm fairly sure the multibay device is the memory card reader and not the CD drive. I would set "Integrated SATA" as primary boot device, followed by "Integrated IDE".
Hope it helps

Multibay device should be for laptops not desktops http://www.manualslib.com/manual/359060/Hp-Compaq-Nc8000.html?page=89. Did the CD drive work fine before you wiped it? Is the disk you are using a CD or maybe a DVD? If the drive in the computer is a CD drive, it won't read a DVD at all.

Try reseating the drive connections, maybe try a new drive, try using an external USB DVD/CD drive, they are cheap to buy.