Wiped my HDD/SSD, reinstalled Windows 10 on both, and now my laptop freezes every ~30 minutes.

dylancmcd94

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017
So I'll try to describe each step I took from the start to where I am now.

I wanted to wipe my ssd/hdd without removing Windows 10 in the process, and tried doing so through the Windows 10 built in feature.

When that failed (I got some generic error and moved on), I tried the MSI Factory Reset option that came with my laptop (stupid of me I know).

After that failed for whatever reason, I was then brought to the automatic repair screen and from that point on couldn't access Windows anymore and could only access the bios/troubleshooting menus.

Since I couldn't do anything else, I decided to just reinstall Windows and boot it up from my usb. I formatted both my HDD/SSD and proceeded to reinstall Windows on the SSD.

The installation seemed to work correctly and it automatically restarted my pc, however, when it booted back up but I was given an error that the installation failed (I can still receive this error now). After that, I tried installing Windows on my HDD and tried booting it from that but that didn't work either.

So at this point I've wiped both my HDD/SSD and have installed Windows 10 on both albeit at this point they didn't seem to work.

Then I changed my bios boot priorities, and after that I could reach a screen that prompted me to choose a volume. I can choose Windows 10 on volume 1 or volume 5. Booting from volume 1 brings me to the "windows failed to install" error and restarts, however, volume 5 (my ssd) works. So for some reason the HDD installation failed but the SSD worked and I can now access my computer again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here I am now running Windows 10 on my SSD, but some new problems have come up. I reformatted my HDD and wiped Windows 10 from it, but I'm still given the option to boot from it at startup. I can still choose between Volume 1 (should be non-existent) and Volume 5 (the working SSD). Strangely enough, when I access my bios boot priorities, I can't even choose my SSD from the list. The boot order that works right now is something along the lines of:
1. CD/DVD
2. USB CD/DVD
3. Windows Boot Manager (P1: TOSHIBA) <--- That doesn't work and brings me to the recovery screen if set to 1.
4. USB Hard Disk
5. Network
6. Disabled

In addition to that, my laptop seems to be freezing every 30 minutes or so. It freezes to the point that I can't do anything besides hold the power button down to shut it off.

So, as of right now, when I boot up my laptop I am brought to a recovery screen. I have to then press f9 to "choose other windows installation", and from there I can choose from Volume 1 or Volume 5. Volume 1 doesn't work, volume 5 does. Also, I can't access my SSD in my bios, and for some reason I can still attempt to boot from my HDD's installation of Windows 10 even though it's completely wiped clean. I imagine the freezing is related to this.

Solution
You can't delete that boot partition now. It holds the boot info for both OS's, even though there is only one working.

Personally, I'd start over completely.
Boot from your Win 10 USB.
When it asks where, delete ALL partitions on both drives.
Ideally, you'd then power off and disconnect the HDD.
Then continue on, with only the SSD connected.
Reconnect the HDD later.

But, if you don't want to take it apart...just continue with both drives wiped of all partitions.

dylancmcd94

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017

I didn't think installing on both drives would be a problem. When the SSD installation of windows failed, I tried the HDD. I don't know, I did a lot of stupid stuff out of frustration from the fact that clicking the factory reset button completely blew up my laptop. I don't understand how these options even exist if they NEVER work and make matters worse.

So I have to wipe the boot HDD partition? I looked into that and wanted to make sure that was the problem before trying it, seeing as how the SSD boot partition doesn't even exist in my bios.

USAFRet

Titan
You can't delete that boot partition now. It holds the boot info for both OS's, even though there is only one working.

Personally, I'd start over completely.
Boot from your Win 10 USB.
When it asks where, delete ALL partitions on both drives.
Ideally, you'd then power off and disconnect the HDD.
Then continue on, with only the SSD connected.
Reconnect the HDD later.

But, if you don't want to take it apart...just continue with both drives wiped of all partitions.

Solution

dylancmcd94

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017

Alright, i'll give it a shot, thanks for the help. I'll try it without disconnecting the HDD, unless you really think I should. I'm assuming worst case scenario it just fails and I have to try again this time disconnecting the HDD?

USAFRet

Titan

With 2 physical drives connected, what often happens is that the boot partition ends up on the 'other' drive.
Not something you select or can influence, it just does it.

So later, if that drive dies or you want to take it out...no boot for you.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10