[SOLVED] Wiping an m.2 for new motherboard

KoolerThanJesus

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
So Im switching a 1tb m.2 that wasnt used for my OS but rather for afew games on a ryzen 3k rig. I am now switching to a
Intel Z490 rig & Im wondering what I have to do to make it so I can install the OS for my new intel rig without any hassle?
The m.2 only has 3 games on it so do I just need to manually uninstall them then delete any leftovers from the drive? Do I need to do something special in bios on the new intel rig?
What do?
Also.....Id like to put the EVO 1TB SSD that has my OS on it for my Ryzen setup into my intel rig after I have it setup. What steps should I take to remove everything off it so I can use it for games on my new intel rig?
& yes everything I need backedup is already on an external HD so green light on wiping anything
Thanks <3

Solution
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD that has the OS from the Ryzen rig
XPG(ADATA) SX8200 1TB m.2 backup game drive from the Ryzen rig
If I have to reinstall windows Id be more inclined to install it on the m.2 I think
Nothing special I have to do since the drive was already used on another AMD rig?
Just delete all files from desktop?
OK...

The 'delete' happens during the install on whichever drive, in the new hardware.

When it asks Where, select Custom.
Delete all existing partitions and continue on.

Section II in that link goes through that.

KoolerThanJesus

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
wait....so I could actually keep the 860 EVO with the OS on it & not even have to install windows again on the secondary m.2?🤯
Is that an actual thing? It wouldnt mess with anything especially going from AMD to intel?
I was planning on installing the OS on the 1tb m.2 since it only had 150 gigs used on it (easy wipe) but hell If I can use my EVO from my Ryzen setup & keep the OS installed for my intel rig Im down!
How would I go about doing that?

USAFRet

Titan
wait....so I could actually keep the 860 EVO with the OS on it & not even have to install windows again on the secondary m.2?🤯
Is that an actual thing? It wouldnt mess with anything especially going from AMD to intel?
I was planning on installing the OS on the 1tb m.2 since it only had 150 gigs used on it (easy wipe) but hell If I can use my EVO from my Ryzen setup & keep the OS installed for my intel rig Im down!
How would I go about doing that?
No, the OS drive is completely different! I apparently misread your initial comment.
That you WILL have to reinstall.

Give us a rundown of exactly which drives you have (make/model/size).
What is on them now, and what you want the end state to be.

Reactions: KoolerThanJesus

KoolerThanJesus

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
If I have to reinstall windows Id be more inclined to install it on the m.2 I think
Nothing special I have to do since the drive was already used on another AMD rig?

1. Connect only XPG(ADATA) SX8200 1TB m.2
  2. Clean it using diskpart, install windows
  3. Connect Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
  4. Clean it using diskpart, repartition, reformat.
delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
OK...

The 'delete' happens during the install on whichever drive, in the new hardware.

When it asks Where, select Custom.
Delete all existing partitions and continue on.

Section II in that link goes through that.

Solution