Wiping an SSD After Using Samsung Magician

Cody38

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I'm using Windows 7 with an 850 EVO 1TB SSD

Hi. I recently bought an SSD to become my primary drive for games and loading things in general, and it's great. The only issue was having to clone about 700GB of stuff I already had on my HDD just to get the OS over. The reason for this is that I have a prebuilt PC, which came with Windows installed and I can't use the key on the side to download windows to, say, a USB drive and then install it from that. I'm simply not allowed to. So, I used Samsung Magician which requires enough space on your SSD to move every file from your HDD to that, including the OS.

My question is: if I format my SSD, will it also wipe the OS? The process of copying the files took pretty much all day so I'd rather not sit through that again. If so, my goal is to just have my OS and necessary files on my SSD and use my HDD as storage, so if someone could give me a good way of doing that I'd be grateful.
Thanks.

Solution

OK, it seems to still exist. That would be the 16GB partition on Disk 0.
Look in your user manual for how to invoke that.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, if you format your SSD, it will wipe everything on it. OS and everything else.

With your prebuilt PC, there should be a factory recovery partition. This should allow you to create a DVD set to reinstall the OS if needed.
Does this still exist?