[SOLVED] Wiping Drives

Jan 21, 2020
I have a SSD and a HDD. I'm upgrading my PC and would like to keep both. I will be using the windows installer flash drive method to wipe and reinstall windows on my SSD, with the HDD not in the PC of course. How should I go about wiping the HDD after the SSD is wiped? I currently have programs installed on there that run on my PC. Will they still try to run even after the SSD is wiped?

Solution
So, just as the original reply.
Install the OS on the SSD. Delete ALL partitions on the drive during this.
Later, reconnect the HDD. AS it is a single partition, you can get away with doing a simple Format.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a SSD and a HDD. I'm upgrading my PC and would like to keep both. I will be using the windows installer flash drive method to wipe and reinstall windows on my SSD, with the HDD not in the PC of course. How should I go about wiping the HDD after the SSD is wiped? I currently have programs installed on there that run on my PC. Will they still try to run even after the SSD is wiped?
After the OS is installed on the SSD and all running well, reconnect the HDD>
Then, go into Disk Management.
Select each partition on it, DELETE.

New Simple Volume, Format, and give it a drive letter.

When you connect it, any applications on that drive are just taking up space. They can't 'run', because the new OS knows nothing about them.

USAFRet

Titan
So, just as the original reply.
Install the OS on the SSD. Delete ALL partitions on the drive during this.
Later, reconnect the HDD. AS it is a single partition, you can get away with doing a simple Format.

Solution