Wiping hardrive after getting ssd?

Robert-

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Just got a 250gb ssd and downloaded windows 10 onto it. My hdd has about 500gb used and I want to wipe it and then use it for storage. How do I do this? I've seen dban is for wiping hardrives

Can I just go onto dban, wipe the drive then just plug it in along with the ssd and it will be like brand new?

Solution
If you already made sure Windows is running off of your SSD and not your hard drive, then yes, you can wipe the hard drive. To make sure windows is running off of your SSD, go into BIOS and go to the boot settings. Make sure that the first boot is your SSD. If it isn't, change that in your BBS priorities(right below). After that, make sure you got everything you need from the hard drive and there is an easier way to wipe it. Right click your hard drive then click format. That is easier.

Chrisp_213

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
If you already made sure Windows is running off of your SSD and not your hard drive, then yes, you can wipe the hard drive. To make sure windows is running off of your SSD, go into BIOS and go to the boot settings. Make sure that the first boot is your SSD. If it isn't, change that in your BBS priorities(right below). After that, make sure you got everything you need from the hard drive and there is an easier way to wipe it. Right click your hard drive then click format. That is easier.

Solution

Robert-

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

When I have both plugged in the hdd doesnt show up. It shows up as disk 0 in disk management and is unallocated. I've no idea what to do.