Wiping SSD - best way to start fresh?

P1ZZAPARTY

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Good afternoon. I recently built a new PC but salvaged my Samsung Evo 500GB from my old PC. It currently is running Windows 10.

After a while I'm realizing that I'd like to just start fresh and get rid of all the old junk and bloat from my old system.

Is there a way to completely wipe the SSD without deleting the OS? I still have the key for Windows; can I completely wipe the drive and reinstall Windows with the key on boot?

I can repurchase Windows if necessary but I'd like to avoid that if possible. I don't know the restrictions on number of activations, however.

Thank you for your help.

Solution
Your best option is to just clean the SSD's OS directory by reinstalling the OS. Trying to nitpick at the OS by perform a system restore or a factory reset/restore often results in grey hair.

If you own the licence key then you won't need to purchase another copy of Windows 10.

Lutfij

Titan
Your best option is to just clean the SSD's OS directory by reinstalling the OS. Trying to nitpick at the OS by perform a system restore or a factory reset/restore often results in grey hair.

If you own the licence key then you won't need to purchase another copy of Windows 10.

Solution
Probably the best overall way would be to just reinstall Windows, uninstalling often leaves bits and pieces behind that clutter the registry and the drive.
Yes, you can reinstall and reuse your old key, although on my system/license it's easier to ignore the key and use the 'I don't have a key' option during the install process, Windows will, in my case, activate automatically once the internet drivers are installed.
There's no need to trash the existing SSD partitions, nor format them in this case, just select the main partition as install destination, the 'system reserved' ones are OK to leave alone, and Windows will create them during the install anyway, even if you delete them.
Hint: You can tie your Windows license to a Microsoft account making it easier to transfer it to a upgraded/new system later on.
Hint: Before doing the big install, download and save out the latest drivers for all your hardware to a USB stick, that way you'll have all the latest software available to install once Windows is in.

USAFRet

Titan

I've seen that result in a false dualboot situation.
The new install simply adds the new OS to the current info.
Leaving you with a 'choice' at bootup time. Win 10 or Win 10.
Of course, there is only one installed, but needless confusion.

I always delete ALL partitions. It will create what it needs for the new install.

P1ZZAPARTY

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Should I go ahead and fully wipe the drive using Samsung's tools or is there a better way? I don't know anything about wiping the OS drive while the OS is in use.

Also I'm an idiot and fat fingered a down vote on USAFRet on mobile. Is there a way to correct this? I'm very sorry.

USAFRet

Titan

You're not doing it while the OS is running, you're doing it when booted from the Windows install USB or DVD.

P1ZZAPARTY

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

Ah okay, so could I enter the bios then wipe the drive and then reinstall Windows on the SSD from there? The drive I am trying to wipe is currently my OS drive/C drive. Apologies again for being new to this.

USAFRet

Titan

No, NOT in the BIOS.
From the OS install DVD or USB you are going to boot from.