Wired Access Point Speeds

Jayhawker32

Distinguished
Hi,

So possibly dumb question, but if I use a router that is wired from my main router across my house as an access point to extend range there shouldn't be significant speed loss. Is this correct or incorrect? Granted connecting to the WiFi from the router will always be slower than if you just wired your device in but it should be as fast as my main router's WiFi speeds.

Thanks,
Jay

Solution
If the hardware in the access point and the main router are similar then the WIFI speeds should be similar. If the main router and the access point have different specs then the WIFI speeds could be different. If they are both N or AC the performance will probably be similar unless you have very fast WAN speed. Then there could be differences even between N devices (N300 vs N600 vs N900).

kanewolf

Titan
If the hardware in the access point and the main router are similar then the WIFI speeds should be similar. If the main router and the access point have different specs then the WIFI speeds could be different. If they are both N or AC the performance will probably be similar unless you have very fast WAN speed. Then there could be differences even between N devices (N300 vs N600 vs N900).

Solution

ShadeTreeTech

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Correct. I do this for the exact same reason. The additional router is only an access port (by turning off the routing engine on this second router), it picks up the radio signal, and sends it over the wire to the "main" router.

TRENDING THREADS