Wired Access Point

wagnerj95

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
I am trying to connect a TP-LINK TL-WA801ND access point to my Asus RT-n66R router via CAT5 to my garage so my wifi enabled garage door opener can connect. I have a hit a wall when it comes to the settings though. Based on what other posts have said, I set my AP IP to 192.168.1.2 and the DHCP range on the router to 192.168.1.3 through 192.168.1.254. I also manually assigned the AP MAC to the 192.168.1.2 IP in the router. I can connect to the AP but have no internet connection. Further, after turning off the DHCP on the AP as directed, I can no longer access the setup page for the AP. I can connect to it, still with no internet, but can not reach the setup page via the 192.168.1.2 IP I assigned it. At this point I have to factory reset the AP and start over. Finally, even though I have the AP connected to the router via ethernet, the AP doesn't show on the network map that the router provides in its configuration utility.

Please someone tell me what I am doing wrong so I can close my door remotely.

When setting up 2 WIFI routers, one being an Access Point, you should:

WIFI Router: This is your NAT box, enable DHCP server here. WAN IN, LAN OUT.
Access Point: No NAT here, DO NOT USE its WAN port, DHCP server off, assigned it a static IP for mangement.

wagnerj95

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

The TL-WA801ND is not a router. It is an access point only and, as stated in my post I have already assigned it a fixed IP and disabled its DHCP.