[SOLVED] Wired and Wireless Network advice

Feb 13, 2020
Hi all,

I'd like to set up my home network properly so I get the most out of it. I've just run out of ports on my new router so I was hoping I could get a bit of advice before I start deciding what, if anything I should buy.

So what I have running at the moment is:

OpenReach G Fast modem - MT992
EE Smart Hub (one WAN port 3 LAN ports)

I have EE's Fibre Max 2 service and I'm seeing typical download speeds of 280-300 Mb/s and upload speeds of 40-45Mb/s

I want a few things using wired connections immediately
Sharp TV
PS4
Sony A/V Amp
SkyQ box
Vodafone sure signal booster

In the future I'm going to want the ability to wire in two laptop docking stations

For the moment my laptops are operating on wireless 5Ghz
and I have 4 mobiles all on 5Ghz (although one seems to switch to 2.4Ghz quite a lot)
and finally a smartwatch on 2.4Ghz

To hand, I have a Virgin Super Hub 2ac (VMDG490)

So first question is for now, could I use the Virgin hub to give me the 5 LAN ports I need right now (three on the Virgin Hub and 2 on the EE hub)
Is that a good idea? Are there any pro's/ con's to think about?
How would you go about setting this up?

I'm most likely going to want 2 more LAN ports at some point so if the above is viable, it's only going to be an interim solution. What is the best way to go for the future / now if the above is a no go?

Should I be thinking about ditching the the Open Reach Modem and or the Hub and replacing them with a wireless router with 6-8 LAN ports (is that even possible)?
Should I be buying a gigabit switch with 4-8 ports, hooking that up to the EE hub and plumbing all the wired equipment into that.
Are there any other / better options to consider?

Solution
Every device that can be wired, should be wired. Reserve WiFi for those devices that have no ethernet port, or are actually mobile around the house.

Switches are your friend. And inexpensive.
Feb 13, 2020
Every device that can be wired, should be wired. Reserve WiFi for those devices that have no ethernet port, or are actually mobile around the house.

Switches are your friend. And inexpensive.
yes that makes some kind of sense except statics dont allow an wifi would be nice if they did

Feb 13, 2020
So to clarify, I'm really looking to understand if I can rig up the various bits of kit I have to hand to cover my immediate needs and if so, how to go about it.

The other thing is what its the best way of getting what I need right now, but also give me a bit of future proofing since I'd be investing in new kit.

Maybe it would help if I explain where my mind is at. In my head I see this as the ultimate solution:
https://uk.pcmag.com/routers/117178/asus-rog-rapture-gt-ac5300

But, I don't think I would never use it to its full potential before some new standard came along which would necessitate its replacement, so it's probably a waste of money.

At the same time I think is is a gigabit switch hooked up to a EE router hooked up to a OpenReach modem the other extreme. Do I really want my PS4 running through that chain of devices or my A/V amp or my SkyQ box for that matter.

I'm thinking is there a happy medium perhaps, a setup where I can make sure the network isn't limiting my ability to file share between devices, stream 4K etc and use all of the networked devices to their full potential.

kanewolf

Titan
So to clarify, I'm really looking to understand if I can rig up the various bits of kit I have to hand to cover my immediate needs and if so, how to go about it.

The other thing is what its the best way of getting what I need right now, but also give me a bit of future proofing since I'd be investing in new kit.

Maybe it would help if I explain where my mind is at. In my head I see this as the ultimate solution:
https://uk.pcmag.com/routers/117178/asus-rog-rapture-gt-ac5300

But, I don't think I would never use it to its full potential before some new standard came along which would necessitate its replacement, so it's probably a waste of money.

At the same time I think is is a gigabit switch hooked up to a EE router hooked up to a OpenReach modem the other extreme. Do I really want my PS4 running through that chain of devices or my A/V amp or my SkyQ box for that matter.

I'm thinking is there a happy medium perhaps, a setup where I can make sure the network isn't limiting my ability to file share between devices, stream 4K etc and use all of the networked devices to their full potential.
That is not the "ultimate" solution, IMO. Discrete switches and multiple WIFI access points (APs) geographically distributed throughout your home will provide better WIFI and faster LAN than a gimmicky router that tries to do everything.

TRENDING THREADS