[SOLVED] Wired bridge from Laptop to desktop

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
Hi, I moved a while ago to an studio, tried to bring my internet service to the new place but the provider told me that they can't put a new line as there is already an existing line in there, the line belongs to my landlord. The landlord gave me access to the WIFI but now I'm going to start working for a company remotely so they're going to send me a desktop and required me to connect it via LAN port or wired, also my landlord is a nice person but I'm afraid she would get angry about it, not for the use of the signal as she is an old lady, she just uses it for YouTube music and the cctv cameras , but because in order for me to connect it via LAN would require me to drill holes on the wall and that for the lady is a really big issue. I'm not in the position to spend much money and I find myself confused about the repeaters and stuff like that so I was watching some videos on how to do it through the laptop... With the back story out of the way my questions are: Creating a bridge on the laptop by selecting the WIFI and the LAN on the laptop would give me a new adapter, do I have to do anything on this new adapter to set it up? Do I just run the LAN cable from my laptop to the soon to come pc? I could test it up by using my current desktop. Lastly but the most important part, would the company be able to see or find out about my work around? Because if so I prefer to try to convince the lady to let me drill the holes, lasty is there a better way that required me not to spend much? I 'm passing through a rough patch, thank you beforehand

Solution
The laptop will appear as a router more or less. It is a very stupid router but it does the job. ICS is around from the days when they did dialup modems and wanted to share that connection with other devices. They have added support for modern devices but it is still a very limited program.

Now if you mean can they figure out you have a wifi connection in the path, only to some extent. The wifi in the path will always cause some random delay spikes and data loss. Many times the reason they do not want wifi is it can make things like video conferencing or even phone calls have poor quality. It all depends why they would not want wifi. You can always just blame it on the ISP....technically your landlord is the ISP...
So if this was your place the 2 other method of getting a "wired" connection are to use MoCA if there are coax cables in both rooms or to use powerline networks and use the electrical wires. Both require a box near the router so that would be question if they would allow it.

You can use your laptop for that purpose but you have now converted a expensive laptop into a wifi nic. You have to be very careful about what you run on the laptop to not disrupt data passing through it.
Check out microsoft site on something called ICS. They have a pretty good tutorial but be careful the more common thing to do the reverse share the ethernet to other device via wifi.

What might be simpler is to buy a so called "extender". What you actually want is a client-bridge but these are hard to find and were used in the days when consoles and tv only had ethernet ports. Most these "extender/repeaters" can be made to function as client-bridge devices.

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
MoCA is none existent in the house

(You can use your laptop for that purpose but you have now converted a expensive laptop into a wifi nic.) I have no problem using the laptop just for that, that laptop is an HP Pavilion 15 or something like that is worth a 100 at most nowadays, On WIFI I get 300 down and 240 upload with 15 ping if not wrong on the ping, as long as I could make 30 up and down there won't be a problem

(What might be simpler is to buy a so called "extender".) On this subject I only found that the connection work vice versa of what I'm think, videos show router to wire, wire to extender, extender to WIFI and WIFI to desktop when I need wire to desktop and WIFI between router and in this case extender.

Thank you for replying

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
So if this was your place the 2 other method of getting a "wired" connection are to use MoCA if there are coax cables in both rooms or to use powerline networks and use the electrical wires. Both require a box near the router so that would be question if they would allow it.

You can use your laptop for that purpose but you have now converted a expensive laptop into a wifi nic. You have to be very careful about what you run on the laptop to not disrupt data passing through it.
Check out microsoft site on something called ICS. They have a pretty good tutorial but be careful the more common thing to do the reverse share the ethernet to other device via wifi.

What might be simpler is to buy a so called "extender". What you actually want is a client-bridge but these are hard to find and were used in the days when consoles and tv only had ethernet ports. Most these "extender/repeaters" can be made to function as client-bridge devices.

On the laptop subject I won't use it in any way while using it as a connection, just turn it on and leave it there running just for that, not gonna open any browser, play a video, music, etc... absolutely nothing... so I could create the client bridge using it with no problems in connectivity? I think so as I'm not going to use it and would they be able to see the wok around? That's gonna be a big problem if they know about

The laptop will appear as a router more or less. It is a very stupid router but it does the job. ICS is around from the days when they did dialup modems and wanted to share that connection with other devices. They have added support for modern devices but it is still a very limited program.

Now if you mean can they figure out you have a wifi connection in the path, only to some extent. The wifi in the path will always cause some random delay spikes and data loss. Many times the reason they do not want wifi is it can make things like video conferencing or even phone calls have poor quality. It all depends why they would not want wifi. You can always just blame it on the ISP....technically your landlord is the ISP and they provide internet only via wifi. Kinda like if you could not get a wired connection to the house and used mobile broadband.

Solution

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019

Now if you mean can they figure out you have a wifi connection in the path, only to some extent. The wifi in the path will always cause some random delay spikes and data loss. Many times the reason they do not want wifi is it can make things like video conferencing or even phone calls have poor quality. It all depends why they would not want wifi. You can always just blame it on the ISP....technically your landlord is the ISP and they provide internet only via wifi. Kinda like if you could not get a wired connection to the house and used mobile broadband.
Ok so If I understood correctly, ICS is a virtual repeater or extender that would allow me to share the internet connection through LAN from the laptop to the desktop, not the best but would do the job, spikes will be there as WIFI is being used between laptop and router, yet the signal wont be as bad as the internet itself it's not bad and I could always put the blame on the ISP which in this case would be the service provider... Spikes won't make it that bad right? I really thank you a lot I learned some new stuff in the process too

ICS means internet connection sharing.

It depends on what you are doing. You likely will have no issue running it over wifi. Mostly it is online games that have huge problem and it does not sound like that is what you are doing. More my comment on the wifi was if they wanted to run a program on the machine to test if there was wifi anyplace in the path they could likely detect it. They would have no way of knowing it was you that set it up, your machine is using ethernet :)