[SOLVED] Wired Connection - Browsers Lose Connection after 5-10 Minutes

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
So, hopefully I have time to actually type this out.

Brand new computer build. Had this issue before, don't recall what caused it or how I fixed it.

I have a wired connection. After about 5-10 minutes of browsing the internet, doesn't matter what, browsers and only browsers will lose connection to the internet. It'll just load infinitely and then eventually time out. It happens with both Chrome and Edge, haven't bothered trying with Firefox. After another 10 or so minutes, it'll go back to normal. A computer restart will work as well.

It's only the browsers that act up. It happened about 30 minutes ago, I was browsing Facebook then went to refresh and had nothing. During the time the browsers were down, I downloaded a game on Steam at 20MB/s (their cap).

Solution
Make and model(s) for modem and router?

Remember that only one device (modem/router or router) should be providing DHCP IP addresses. Otherwise the network will have IP address conflicts that will indeed cause problems.

First step is to get the modem - router IP addresses sorted out along with DHCP IP addressing and any static IPs being used.

Second step is to check the IP addresses currently assigned to all devices - especially any devices using a static IP or left at the default configuration.

Allowed DHCP ranges, subnet masks, static IPs, and any limits on the number of devices that can connected - all of that matters.

A simple network sketch that includes all devices (wired and wireless) will help manage the network...

Ralston18

Titan
What other devices are on your network?

Are any of them experiencing problems?

Or just the new computer build?

Who manages the network router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue.

Overall, my thought is some IP address conflict.

Update your post to include full system (new computer) system specs and OS.

And with all devices online. Look at their respective IP address assignments.

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
What other devices are on your network?

Are any of them experiencing problems?

Or just the new computer build?

Who manages the network router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue.

Overall, my thought is some IP address conflict.

Update your post to include full system (new computer) system specs and OS.

And with all devices online. Look at their respective IP address assignments.

There is a laptop, and three smart phones also on. They have not experienced any issues, far as they've noticed.

I can get into the routers menu screen, if that's what you mean. Last time I tried though, it didn't load itself properly and all the images didn't load and the text was just kind of scattered everywhere. I'll try it again right now.

New computer is:
Windows 10 64bit.
Gigabyte B450 Elite.
GTX 1060.
16GB RAM.

Well, just tried to access the router and it's denying my access for some reason. It's IPV4 IP is 192.168.1.1. The "Default Gateway" is 192.168.1.2. Using the IPV4 tries to sign into a router that is not the one we have. Last time, using the default gateway worked to get me into the one we do use. I don't know why it's suddenly not letting me in.

- Just now realized the .1 is for the router, and the .2 must be for the modem?

In any event, apparently at some point one of my roommates changed the log-in information for the router so I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

I did update the network adapter driver earlier, and so far it seems... better. Not great, but better. We have very, very fast internet and if I'm browsing while for example downloading a game, I can watch the download speed go from 15mb/s to 3, then to 6, then 2, then 9, then 6, so on and so forth. I understand there will be some sort of bandwidth stealing from Facebook and a download, but our speed should be more than enough to overcome it, especially late at night when I'm the only one up using any bandwidth.

I ran a speedtest on the old computer set up (weaker components, same wired connection) and if I recall, it was over 100mb/s DL speed.
Just ran another right now, and it just barely hit 80. I know 20mb/s really isn't that bad, but certainly with speed like that a 15mb/s game download isn't going to completely bottleneck everything.

I will do some browsing tomorrow and see if updating the driver at least took care of the disconnects.

Sorry for the long post, it's late and I should be in bed and I'm tired but I hate going to bed without figuring things out, :p.

Last edited:

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Just an update: Got it to happen again, unfortunately. Was doing great for about an hour of browsing, then out of the blue it just cut out. Browsers down completely. Can still download games at full speed on Steam and on Uplay. Oddly, Microsoft Store also lost connection. Had to restart to get it to come back.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model(s) for modem and router?

Remember that only one device (modem/router or router) should be providing DHCP IP addresses. Otherwise the network will have IP address conflicts that will indeed cause problems.

First step is to get the modem - router IP addresses sorted out along with DHCP IP addressing and any static IPs being used.

Second step is to check the IP addresses currently assigned to all devices - especially any devices using a static IP or left at the default configuration.

Allowed DHCP ranges, subnet masks, static IPs, and any limits on the number of devices that can connected - all of that matters.

A simple network sketch that includes all devices (wired and wireless) will help manage the network configuration.

You will need to work with your roommate(s) to get the network functioning as it should.

Solution