[SOLVED] Wired connection for room at distance from cable modem/router

jrlevy

Honorable
Oct 31, 2015
Hi all. I'm setting up a home office in a different room from with my cable modem (Arris TM602G) and router (TP-Link AC1750 Model C7). The cable modem is hooked up to the phone jack and a coax connection in the wall. A wireless connection in my home office can sometimes be spotty. There is a coax outlet in the home office, though. Is there a way to hook up a stable wired connection in the home office room without moving the cable modem and router into that room? I don't have a phone jack in the home office room, and it's my understanding that the phone service we get through Wave Cable requires that the modem have a direct connection to the phone jack.

Some ideas I've had include
  1. Wireless extender, for a more stable wireless connection (not preferred since my non-work computer will be in the same room and doesn't have a wifi card).
  2. Setting up one/two MoCA adapters (I don't know much, just read about these today)
  3. Setting up some sort of phone jack through an electrical outlet, and moving the cable modem and router to that room (I don't even know if that would be enough to hook up the cable modem, though).

I don't know if any of this would work and what incorrect assumptions I'm making to begin with. What do you all suggest?

Thank you!

Jim

Solution
Moca is you best option. Some modems have moca adapters in them but yours does not from what i can tell.

You need 2 moca adapters one for each end. There are a couple ways to cable them but the moca vendors have pretty good diagrams. One of the most popular brands is gocoax but they have a lot of competition lately. These devices can run full gigabit speed and claim 2.5g if you get the ones with 2.5g ethernet ports.
Moca is you best option. Some modems have moca adapters in them but yours does not from what i can tell.

You need 2 moca adapters one for each end. There are a couple ways to cable them but the moca vendors have pretty good diagrams. One of the most popular brands is gocoax but they have a lot of competition lately. These devices can run full gigabit speed and claim 2.5g if you get the ones with 2.5g ethernet ports.

Reactions: jrlevy
Solution

jrlevy

Honorable
Oct 31, 2015

Thank you!