[SOLVED] Wired connection on laptop disrupts every device on the network??

Jan 23, 2020
Hello,

The past week something very odd has been happening. I like to plug in my laptop with a wired connection. Every other day the internet will shut down for everyone and my laptop will completely freeze. I unplug the wired cable and 5 seconds later the internet comes back on for all the devices connected...the other computer, the security system, phones, etc. I have to do a hard reset of my computer. So why is this happening all of a sudden? It's happened three times now.

Thank you!

Solution
Truly "every other day"? Or is it that you just need to use wired connectivity every other day?

I.e., wired works one day and then the next day (all other things being equal) the network is disrupted.

When you switch from wireless to wired do you disabled the wireless network adapter? Some systems will do so automatically but that may not be the case or there is some problem with doing so.

Is the laptop set up to use a DHCP IP address or a Static IP address?

My thought is that if the laptop is taking the entire network down then there is an IP address conflict somewhere. Check the router's IP address and the IP addresses for all network connected devices. There should be no duplicates.

Run and post the results of "ipconfig...

Ralston18

Titan
Truly "every other day"? Or is it that you just need to use wired connectivity every other day?

I.e., wired works one day and then the next day (all other things being equal) the network is disrupted.

When you switch from wireless to wired do you disabled the wireless network adapter? Some systems will do so automatically but that may not be the case or there is some problem with doing so.

Is the laptop set up to use a DHCP IP address or a Static IP address?

My thought is that if the laptop is taking the entire network down then there is an IP address conflict somewhere. Check the router's IP address and the IP addresses for all network connected devices. There should be no duplicates.

Run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS