Wired connection problem

lordofcattown

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Hey guys,

I just moved into a new house and have Time Warner Cable internet. I am connected wirelessly, but the connection is fairly unstable. In my room, I have a coax and a dial up port, but no ethernet port. Is there any way to connect my computer with a hard line connection?

Thanks,
Nick

Solution
You *may* be able to use the coaxial cable with MOCA adapters, but TWC is not MOCA friendly as some other ISPs are.

A less expensive, and I think better solution is a pair of TP-Link AV1200 powerline adapters like the 8010P. They usually get around 200-250Mbps and the only real issues with stability arise when a large motor (like a floor fan) is near the outlet, although you can fix that by putting the fan on a 4-5 foot extension cord.

If the family will allow you to drill some holes Ethernet is preferable, but often not feasible.

RealBeast

Titan
You *may* be able to use the coaxial cable with MOCA adapters, but TWC is not MOCA friendly as some other ISPs are.

A less expensive, and I think better solution is a pair of TP-Link AV1200 powerline adapters like the 8010P. They usually get around 200-250Mbps and the only real issues with stability arise when a large motor (like a floor fan) is near the outlet, although you can fix that by putting the fan on a 4-5 foot extension cord.

If the family will allow you to drill some holes Ethernet is preferable, but often not feasible.

Solution