Wired connection slower than wireless?

TIGERSHARK27

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
I just recently upgraded internet plans, and I see the improvements on Ookla Speedtest on my phone, but not on my PC. Yes, they are both connected to the same connection. My phone is obviously wireless (I have Data off), and my PC is wired through Ethernet.

I'm getting 13-14 Mbps Download and 0.5-0.7 Mbps Upload on my PC, and on my phone (again Data is off, it's definitely the wireless internet) I'm getting 30-35 Mbps Download, and 16 Mbps Upload. I've done hundreds of speedtests on my phone so I can confirm this is the new internet plan. Not sure if it's relevant, but I have an HTC One M9 phone. Usually people say wired is faster, mine is much slower.

My motherboard (MSi X99S Gaming 7) has a Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller, and the ethernet cord I'm using is from my Xbox 360 I bought in 2009.

I should also mention that my PC does not have a wireless network card, and I haven't been able to "forget network" and then reconnect, because I don't have a Wi-Fi tab in settings. I'm not sure how to forget a wired connection. My phone asked me to put in the new password, while my PC did not, and the internet does work, just at similar speeds of my previous plan.

Any help to the reasoning for this would be appreciated!

Solution
Hello, I had the same problem. The thing that solved it for me is I simply disabled the Ethernet Network from the device manager, and enabled it back again. And BOOM, my 500mb/s download speed was back!
I was stuck at like 5mb/s with my ethernet cable. but wifi stayed at 200 mb/s which drove me crazy.
I have a cat 6 ethernet cable, so it was more than capable of my router speed. So yea, simply disable and enabling did it for me
I wish you luck!
Who is the provider? What is your router? What is the Ethernet connection showing for connected @ speed?

Also try:

To reset the Windows Vista/7/8/10 TCP/IP stack:

1. Run Elevated Command Prompt:
- Click the Start button
- Type: cmd in the Start Search text box.
- right-click and choose "Run as Administrator" (alternatively, press CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER to run it as administrator), and allow elevation request
2. Type: netsh winsock reset in the shell and hit Enter
3. Type: netsh int ip reset and hit Enter again.
4. Restart the computer

You shouldn't need to make any changes to the desktop's network configuration because the internet speed is not part of that nor any other configuration.

I should mention that although the Ethernet adapter is Gigabit, the cable is likely only good enough for 100Mb/s transfer speeds at best since the Xbox 360 is fairly old. If the cable is damaged or wound in circles or such because it is too long, then that can inhibit performance, though it wouldn't explain the much lower upload speeds.

What you need to do first of all is check what speed your router/Modem`s Ethernet ports can work at as a maximum Mbps speed.

The usual depending on how old the router modem is for the Ethernet ports on the back should be.

10 Mbps or 100 Mbps Ethernet port speeds TigerShark, and if the router is less than one year old it should also support wired Lan speeds of 1000 Mbps/ 1 Gbps speed.

Once you know this.
Look at the lan cable you have connected to the router and to your system.
Check to see what category the Ethernet cable is.

Cat 5E can be used for a 10 Mbps Lan speed or a 100 Mbps lan speed.
For a 1000 Mbps or 1 Gbps network speed you will need to have a Cat 6 or 6E cable connected from the router to your Ethernet port on your system.

Ok so now we need to know what the Actual Ethernet adapter is running at in speed or is set to for network transmission. But we also need to know what Duplex mode the adapter is running at.

Click on start of windows.
Control Panel.
Network and internet.
Network and sharing center.

Click on change adapter settings to the top left in blue writing.
Then left click on the Network adapter shown.
Click properties.

Then select the advanced tab in the new window box that opens.

Scroll down the list and find speed and duplex settings.
Look at the current speed selected.

If set to auto Negotiation.
from the pull down box, and if you have a cat 6 Ethernet cable from the router to your system set it to 1Gbps full duplex.

If your Ethernet cable is only Cat 5E rated.
Then manually set the speed of the adapter to 100 Mbps full duplex mode.
Make sure the flow control option is enabled if you have the option in the scroll list.

Large send offload for IPv4 should be enabled.
And also for the IPv6 setting.

NS Offload should be enabled.
Arp offload should be enabled.
Interrupt modulation enabled.
Side scaling enabled.

Then click ok.

And restart your system.
If the Ethernet cable you are currently using was very cheap to buy.
It is possible that the grade of copper wire in % is low.
The better quality of cable you buy for the length you need gives a better overall Mbps speed and a better Upload speed.

Actually, Cat 5 and Cat 5e is capable of Gigabit Ethernet connections, depending on the length and quality of the cable (speaking from both official specifications and experience). Cat 6 is capable of 10GbE.

Regardless, the cable might be the issue. Insufficient quality, damaged, or poorly routed cables can have negative impacts on performance.

Given the Xbox 360's age, I'd assume any cable that shipped with it or was meant for it is Cat 5. The cable should be high-enough quality to not be a bottleneck unless it is damaged or poorly routed. Is the cable excessively long and thus tied or wrapped down or something like that? Also check it for damage to the insulation.

However, none of this explains the huge difference in upload speed to download speed when the phone can manage an upload speed higher than the computer's download speed. Are you sure the phone's data plan is turned off and it is only using the WiFi for that speed test?

JayBae

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Hello, I had the same problem. The thing that solved it for me is I simply disabled the Ethernet Network from the device manager, and enabled it back again. And BOOM, my 500mb/s download speed was back!
I was stuck at like 5mb/s with my ethernet cable. but wifi stayed at 200 mb/s which drove me crazy.
I have a cat 6 ethernet cable, so it was more than capable of my router speed. So yea, simply disable and enabling did it for me
I wish you luck!

Solution

TIGERSHARK27

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
I solved the problem (a few months back, I apologize for not confirming here) by going into the Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller's settings, where I had previously set a cap on what internet speeds I received (I'm not sure exactly why, probably for OCD reasons) and I hadn't changed it. Simply changed those numbers and no issue, lol.