[SOLVED] Wired connection to router producing slower speeds then the wifi!

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Recently purchased a 2 GBPS modem, a new wifi-6 router and the 1 GIG plan from Spectrum. When I hardwire into the modem my pc can hit 800-900 MPBS no issue. However connecting into the router (I need for wifi for the rest of my household ) I only see speeds of 450 - 550 MBPS. I connect a macbook to the wireless outside, I still get those speeds.

I only have on IP from my ISP so I can't have both hardwired. Any suggestions on what I can try to improve the performance??

Specs:
PC:
Windows 10 64 Bit (Pro)
intel i7 9700K
64 GB of DDR4 Ram 3600
RTX 2080 TI

Network:
Spectrum 1 GB plan
Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 Cable Modem
Asus AX5400 (RT-AX82U) Wifi 6 Gaming Router

From losing my fiber to lawn care jerks. To needing to switch providers to get back and running quickly to issues getting everything running. Any help from anyone would really help flip this from being a week from hell.

Thanks!

Solution
That is kinda strange even very cheap routers can do almost 1gbit wan/lan.

I would first check for any firmware upgrades just in case it is some bug. Next I would reset the router and configure only the admin and wifi passwords. There are many features on routers that if you turn them on they require a lot of cpu capacity and will bottleneck the device on high speed connections.

After this I don't know there is not much else. It could in theory be a bad cable between the router and the modem that is getting data errors but this is rather rare.

If you get 450-550 on wifi that is exceptional especially if your end devices do not have full 160mhz wifi6 ability.
That is kinda strange even very cheap routers can do almost 1gbit wan/lan.

I would first check for any firmware upgrades just in case it is some bug. Next I would reset the router and configure only the admin and wifi passwords. There are many features on routers that if you turn them on they require a lot of cpu capacity and will bottleneck the device on high speed connections.

After this I don't know there is not much else. It could in theory be a bad cable between the router and the modem that is getting data errors but this is rather rare.

If you get 450-550 on wifi that is exceptional especially if your end devices do not have full 160mhz wifi6 ability.

Solution

eldridgep2

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020
Clearly the issue is not the modem as when you hard wire into that it is fine, if you see the same speed connecting to the router wirelessly and wired it's unlikely to be a dodgy cable between the router and the PC so that only really leaves the router as the issue as you see the same hit to performance no matter how you connect to it.

As Bill says first step is to flash the firmware on the router to rule that out but other than that it'll be looking at what feautures the router has and turning off any that may affect base performace. Unfortunately with home/gaming routers they often don't quote the actual throughput the device can handle at a hardware level so I can't see an easy answer there. Do you have any kind of traffic shaping, internet filtering, child protection features etc. enabled on it? Try switching off the advanced feature and go back to basic vanilla mode as much as you can.

Clearly the issue is not the modem as when you hard wire into that it is fine, if you see the same speed connecting to the router wirelessly and wired it's unlikely to be a dodgy cable between the router and the PC so that only really leaves the router as the issue as you see the same hit to performance no matter how you connect to it.

As Bill says first step is to flash the firmware on the router to rule that out but other than that it'll be looking at what feautures the router has and turning off any that may affect base performace. Unfortunately with home/gaming routers they often don't quote the actual throughput the device can handle at a hardware level so I can't see an easy answer there. Do you have any kind of traffic shaping, internet filtering, child protection features etc. enabled on it? Try switching off the advanced feature and go back to basic vanilla mode as much as you can.

The CM1200 has multiple ports, it has something to do with the firmware and LAG(link aggregation). There are also reports of slowdown after a few days with this modem. The firmware is just bad. Also I dont know about Spectrum but with comcast they upload their own customized version of the firmware to the modem, they might not be on the latest and greatest firmware version with the latest bug fixes.

Buy an MB8611 on amazon and return it if it doesnt fix your issue.