Question Wired connection varying in speed, same speed as WIFI.

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
I'll start by saying, I know its a lot of reading but there' a lot to say/explain. So I noticed today that my speeds are not where they should be, I have Fios gigabit so I believe it should be 940/880. I should start by also explaining that my line running from house across the street got pulled down Saturday night, verizon tech came yesterday said line is good replaced small piece of wire in that box that Verizon installs and another fitting. The internet still wasn't back he tried replacing connectors, a part in the box, and even installed a new cat6 cable between Verizon box and router, and then he didn't even know what what wrong so he replaced the router, I recently upgraded to the G3100 from them. And it was back online, so the router went bad DURING the tech visit. I think it was a bit slow but I though maybe it's just setting up. When I check Verizon speed test they say router to the is good, but device to router is slower.

I noticed my speed was slower by about half during a game update so I checked my speed and I get about 400-450 download and around 100 less than that (300-350) upload, this is on Google's speedtest. I will attach a couple pics of my results from Speedtest.net. I use a cat6 flat cable, so I started reading and learned that some say a cable a lot of times the flat one will go "bad" if kinked. I have my cable going from downstairs in the wall and it is way too long so its wrapped up possible that is was maybe still is somewhat kinked somewhere. The thing that made me believe that this is possible even more is during the tests around 3:14 pm that was before I touched the cable I went to leave it lying loose on one end and speeds went to around 920 download but upload speeds still vary and still stayed lower. So when I saw 900mbps download I went and ordered a cat8 shielded cable, a shorter one so that I won't have a lot of excess. I checked on another PC that's just used for browsing and watching so doesn't have a lot of games and apps and the speeds on there vary also. It seemed to have faster speeds so I though maybe cause that cable is round and shorter (not kinked) maybe that's why. So just now I took my PC downstairs and connected it to that cable and ran speed test, Google - 450/350 Ookla - 400/580 , these test were run within a minute of each other. Then I connected the other PC as it was ran speedtest.net It was in the around 600 or mid 600 but during second test upload dropped to under 300. Now I just ran another test and its 417/242.

So far I have looked up anything to try and

I have updated to the latest windows update other than the optional one available.
Installed malwarebytes and one one thing was found.
Quick scan on Bitdefender, maybe I'll do full system scan too.
Updated realtek drivers from MSI website as I don't use a separate network card.
Tried disabling auto-tuning feature I think it was even slower so put it back as it was.
Disabled Large Send Offload IPv4 & IPv6 preety sure that was little to no change.
Changed DNS on router setting to 1.1.1.1 no change or slower.
Changed duplex from auto-negotiation to 100mbps and speeds were around 100, then changed it to 1gbps and speeds still around 400.
Tried disabling IPv6.
There was another promt that I found for use in command prompt to reset some setting but honestly forgot it in all this.
Tried enabling and disabling realtek. Also rolling back the driver still nothing.

Before all this happened I'm preety sure my speeds were as they were supposed to be because now during game update the download speed of the update was about half as fast just like my internet half speed 400-450 instead of like 850-900. So maybe they replacement router is faulty? I tried resetting it like twice. I'm really considering getting a netgear ac2300 from BestBuy tomorrow because it'll save $15/Month in renting the Verizon one. Let me know what else I can try or if this is looking as a router issue. Since Verizon says that the speed going to the router is normal. Also when standing right next to router even my phone got 450mbps download. Also I have had this router just drop signal and "restart" by itself like 2-3 times since replacement. Please just let me know what I can try of if I should get Netgear router and use new cat8 cable. Thanks
WtzBSs.png
iEmvEE.png

Okay, so here's the takeaway you need to pound into verizon's head--everything was fine until your line went down and it's still not fine so fix it.

Whoever the tech was obviously didn't know what they were doing. They'll need someone experienced to come out and fix it and they're going to try to keep that guy away from your site as long as they can because he's in high demand and short supply. Be the squeaky wheel so you can get some grease!

And definitely get some service credits as well. You're getting 1/2 the speed, so 1/2 the price, right?

mattcitko1999

Commendable
Jul 20, 2018
Okay, so here's the takeaway you need to pound into verizon's head--everything was fine until your line went down and it's still not fine so fix it.

Whoever the tech was obviously didn't know what they were doing. They'll need someone experienced to come out and fix it and they're going to try to keep that guy away from your site as long as they can because he's in high demand and short supply. Be the squeaky wheel so you can get some grease!

And definitely get some service credits as well. You're getting 1/2 the speed, so 1/2 the price, right?
I will go back to them about not having my service back technically cause like you said 1/2 the speed. I dont know if he knew or didnt know what he was doing. When I test the connection from router to them its showing the correct speeds. But when I test my device to router connection it's slow. And since it was all good before and then after he replaced a connector in the box and tested it with a tool it showed good connection. And then after a lot or changing wires, connectors and parts out he used a new modem and it worked right away. Also having wifi at 450 even while standing right next to it doesnt seem bad. Would you say that getting a router not from them would be a good move? I can go pick one up today and test it and if it doesnt fix it I'll connect theirs up and have a tech come out again. And then connect the new router because paying $15/month for their router that's 50/50 working then not. Would you say getting a netgear ac2300 be a good choice?

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Can you bypass the router and get your full speeds? If so, then get your own router for sure and see if that fixes it.
I'll try and do that if I can get my PC to reach the cable, I'm not sure if its possible but can fiber optic be damaged and still work. This was a semi truck and something on it ripped the cable off the house so maybe its damaged inside. Whenever I speedtest from verizon or they do it they say the connection between the router and them is good. So maybe the router has 4 bad lan ports. Maybe they'll say to go get a replacement router for the replacement and if that works I'll go get my own router. Even right now shows 950/895 on the router to them. but device to router 455/888. So I guess upload speeds are good. Like I said I tried all the setting changes I found online and still nothing. Other PC a little faster but still upstable but maybe thats because of my cable, idk. And it was fine before all this, before the replacement router

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
I'll try and do that if I can get my PC to reach the cable, I'm not sure if its possible but can fiber optic be damaged and still work. This was a semi truck and something on it ripped the cable off the house so maybe its damaged inside. Whenever I speedtest from verizon or they do it they say the connection between the router and them is good. So maybe the router has 4 bad lan ports. Maybe they'll say to go get a replacement router for the replacement and if that works I'll go get my own router. Even right now shows 950/895 on the router to them. but device to router 455/888. So I guess upload speeds are good. Like I said I tried all the setting changes I found online and still nothing. Other PC a little faster but still upstable but maybe thats because of my cable, idk. And it was fine before all this, before the replacement router
Can you bypass the router and get your full speeds? If so, then get your own router for sure and see if that fixes it.
So I have tried that and depending on the speedtest it was around 850/850. Not bad. Right now I have triend again on the downstairs pc and I got the proper speed on the device. I put the new cat 8 cable through the wall upstairs and just tested again and the device to router speed is slow like before. 515/806. I have also tried the same lan port and still nothing. I have tried disabling background apps still nothing. Would you say doing a full system reset and reinstall windows would solve it?

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
I just wanted to put a update out that I ended up reinstalling a clean install of windows and speeds were back and not just keep checking on them as I install stuff to see what might affect it.